get thee to a nunnery

Another thing that i just 'know' is that Shakespeare is the fountain of all wisdom. 

It may be evident that i have had an odd upbringing. My mother, voracious reader and eager historian, fed me from an early age from a diet of poems, plays, novels and histories. I read Elizabeth 1 by David Starkey when i was 6 years old, and from then on held a strange fascination with middle age English history, including Eleanor of aquitaine, Isabella of France and the Tudors themselves.

In terms of literature nothing was out of bounds for my mother, Jane Austen was (and still is) my favourite author when i was in year 2, from then she had me reading Hamlet, Evelyn Waugh, The Forsyte Saga and Elizabeth Gaskell. Some people have asked me whether i was angry that she robbed me of years of reading fairy stories and animal fables. SHe didn't. I read those too. 

I actually thank her, from the bottom of my heart, for turning me into the person i am today. This deep passion for english and literature and words was all thanks to her, and so i am truly grateful.

But back onto shakespeare. She taught me that he is the fountain of all wisdom. That everything can be related back to him, he has something to say on every subject, and not only does he say it better than people today, but he says it in old English. the man kicks elizabethan ass!

Some of my favourite shakespeare quotes;

'All the worlds a stage, and all the men and women merely players.' As you like it (one of my favourite plays)

'the lady doth protest too much, methinks.' Hamlet

'once more unto the breach dear friends, once more.' Henry V

'uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.' King Lear

'though this be madness, there is method in it.' Hamlet

'Frailty, thy name is woman!' Hamlet (though i change it, naturally, to that of the opposite sex)

'A plague on both your houses' Rome and Juliet CLASSIC!



You have read this article books / shakespeare with the title get thee to a nunnery. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2008/03/get-thee-to-nunnery.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...