cinematic style - Anne Hathaway in Love and Other Drugs


So I'm not a particularly huge fan of Anne Hathaway - I'm not a hatha-hater, but I just wouldn't see a movie because she's in it, in the way I would for, say, Carey Mulligan or Natalie Portman - and, let's be honest, I definitely didn't see this movie for Anne Hathaway. I saw it for Jake. Always Jake. But right now I'm in the throes of a 90s revival so big it threatens to take over my wardrobe (cami slip dress: check, birkenstocks: check, overalls: check check check) and I can't help but fall in love with the grungey, grown-up my-so-called-life-y style that Annie is wearing in this film. (or not wearing, when it comes down to it). 

I just finished reading the new J.K Rowling book - the one she wrote under a pseudonym - and there's a bit in it where the main character Cormoran Strike describes the apartment of model Ciara Porter as messy and girlish, like the apartment of a teenager left unsupervised. That's how I see anne hathaway's wardrobe in this movie. She's living that dream of adolescents the world round: nobody to tell me what to do. That's why in some sense her ludicrously lovely apartment (struggling artist she is not, judging by that sprawling warehouse space, but then movies never accurately represent socioeconomic realities when it comes to living space, do they?), is endearing and charming in its messiness, and her wardrobe, which is legitimately the kind of stuff Angela Chase used to run around in works, even though she's a grown-up woman with grown-up responsibilities. Maybe that was also a little bit of the 90s - when overalls were the hippest thing since slice bread and tartan shirts with tights with rips in them were trendy. So many of those 90s trends are, in some sense, ageless. Women of all ages run around in pared-back CBK minimalism and look fantastic - even the super youthful Ashley Olsen, or perhaps especially her - and I think the reverse is true for this grungey style, to a point. It's a youthful look but it's one that seems to work across ages. You could take elements of this look and wear them at 15, 35, 55 and 85 ('Fabulous at Every Age!'). 

Maybe it's the sartorial mood I'm drawn to at the moment. I have started to seek out clothes that appeal to my tactile senses - I want soft denim shirts, thick knitted sweaters, the nubby worn-in patches on flannel shirts, the ease of slipping into a pair of overalls, the sheer comfiness of those german sandals. That's a 90s thing, too. And I look at Anne Hathaway's wardrobe in this movie and I see just that: silky chinese dressing gowns, pin-tucked broderie anglaise, the ridges of burgundy corduroy (!!!) and the classic feel of a woolen camel coat.

X
You have read this article 90s / celebrity / clothes / clothing / denim / fashion style / films / inspiration / knitwear / menswear / movies / photos / pictures / style with the title cinematic style - Anne Hathaway in Love and Other Drugs. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2013/08/cinematic-style-anne-hathaway-in-love.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...