Speaking of credit crunch…

INTERNET IS BACK AND SO AM I HAHAHA!!!



I hate to exploit the fact that many design houses are suffering horribly at the hands of the economic crisis, but at the same time it would be cruel of me not to buy something that I love just because it has been reduced, right? I mean, it would be wrong . Immoral. Inhumane. 

There’s nothing I love more than a good sale. Like Becky Bloomwood (from the book, not the movie, although isla fisher is a doll) I am a like a moth to the proverbial flame when I see the word sale. Especially the sales of the overseas fashion houses and designers, even if I don’t buy anything I get a little thrill out of seeing a price tag incredibly out of my price range be reduced to just a little bit out of my price range. 

But, at the moment, I can’t complain in that department. Why? Because I have just made two amazing purchases, both of them exquisite quality Australian pieces at bargain prices. Incredibly bargain prices. Like I had to be pinched to believe the price for one of them. I present: 


My Richard Nicoll dress 





And my Mad Cortes top/jacket.


Mmmmm colour. Maybe I was a little crazy when seeing the price tags that were insanely low, or maybe I am evolving a little in my style, but I loved the colours of both of these. The bright orange of the Mad Cortes jacket was what made me love it in the first place when I saw it in Myer in October of last year. But I was saving up for my overseas trip then and didn’t buy it. It was silky and smooth in the way that parachute silk excels at, and when I tried it on it just seemed to drip from my shoulders, the kind of look that back in October I was only beginning to want for myself. But, I let it slip through my fingers then because I knew the greater good (read: a marni bag and stella mccartney coat) would come to me all in time. Imagine my luck when strolling into Harlequin market yesterday for a spot of retail therapy (huge fight with my mum.. gah!) and I find it
on the rack, reduced within an inch of its life, and just begging, really BEGGING for me to buy it. 

It needs love. And who would not oblige? 

The Richard Nicoll dress was another success story. After a whole afternoon of wandering lazily around oxford st in Paddington with my friend we ended up at Lands End store in five ways, made infamous by my post regarding its decidedly sizeist range. I’m not going to say everything is forgiven, it would take a lot more than this delicious blue dress in stripes of cotton and silk to make amends, but at the same time, I was pleasantly surprised to find a dress that fit me, and looked really good, because on the rack it seems kind of shapeless. The kind of dress that needs a body within it to do it justice. 

I can’t be the only one to have succeeded from the tragedy that is this economic crisis. I know for a fact (my new york friend told me so) there were absolutely crazy 80% off sales in some of the department stores that led me to wander bewilderly through the last remnants of the stock in barneys, my eyes blinking strangely at the three figure prices on a column of red jersey from valentino, or the fact that I could have afforded a nina ricci skirt in sumptuous baby blue brocade (did not buy it for the simple fact that it was 4 sizes too small. But has I been a size 4 Australian then of course I would have parted with my money faster than you can say ‘recession’)

It is a horrible thing that sales like these are occurring, especially for the small designers that are being hit so hard. I encourage you all to buy, I know it is what I’m doing, and still support, in however small way you can, the designers that you love. Not because you have some bizarre compulsion to shop, or because want the label, but because you love the piece. Labels are, at the end of the day, just that. But clothing that you love, well, I hate to sound a little crazy, it can change you life.

I would love to hear your success stories! Tell me all! Let it be your guilty pleasure. 

X

You have read this article fashion / me / shopping / style with the title Speaking of credit crunch…. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2009/03/speaking-of-credit-crunch.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...