cinematic style - Marion Cotillard in A Good Year


I think I just want to live in the country. It could be in Australia or it could be in France, it could be in England or it could be in America, but as long as there plenty of green around me, and lungfuls of fresh air and a table to spread with food in a secluded, shaded corner, that's all that matters to me. Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above, don't fence me in. I've always loved that song, but I guess you have to spend a bit of time out in the country - and I have recently - to make you really, really want it. And I do; I want that far-off horizon, and the weeks full of saturdays and the way you wake up to the sound of a soft breeze and nothing else. And I want Marion Cotillard's wardrobe in A Good Year to go with it.

The way Marion dresses in this movie is so French, even more French than that stereotypical, obvious breton-shirt and skinny jeans with ankle boots combo. Don't get me wrong, that can be great too (think of Charlotte Gainsbourg in prete moi ta main and that glorious military coat), but it's such a manufactured French look. The kind of things that Marion wears in A Good Year are the kinds of things that real French women wear in Provence. Easy, simple, seasonless clothes that are removed from any kinds of trend-driven ideas of fashion. This is the true 'french' wardrobe. A few a-line skirts, a denim jacket and a leather biker jacket, straight-leg jeans and chinos, some breezy cotton tee shirts and one spectacular silk dress. It was all very Vanessa Bruno, all very real, all very unaffected. The kinds of clothes that you would wear, if you looked just like Marion Cotillard, with that glowing skin and those big eyes and that amazing hair. I liked that in every scene she was wearing a plain gold necklace resting just on her collarbone. She never took it off. It reminded me of something that Ines de la Fressange said about how French women never take their jewellery off, only to put it on again the next day. 

And it's the lifestyle too. It's the lifestyle that makes this wardrobe so attractive. I've been thinking about it for a little while, would I wear it in the city? Would I wear espadrilles and denim jackets and wicker baskets in the city? Maybe not, but if I lived in Provence and I rode a bicycle with a basket filled with apples and flowers, and if I owned a little neighbourhood bistro, and if I knew a lot about wine, I might just dress like this. It's something about being in the country and not caring too much about fashion or style or anything really - just needing to have clothes on your back and feeling good. I would wear things that let me move around and gave me room to breathe, and made me smile. The kinds of things that Marion wears in this film. Some people hate this movie and say that it is just a piece of glorified tourism, a chance for all these actors to have a paid holiday in the South of France. Whatever. It's beautiful in a way that makes you both incredibly happy and incredibly sad, because it's such a perfect life, and why can't I have one just like it?

X
You have read this article dreams / films / france / holiday / movies / photos / pictures / style / travel with the title cinematic style - Marion Cotillard in A Good Year. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/09/cinematic-style-marion-cotillard-in.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...