an artist has no home except in paris

one of my favourite things to do, because well, i'm cool like that, is to think abotu what eras of history i would like to live in. I always come back to the perennial favourites of mine, firstly in ancient egypt under Ptolemy I Soter or Ptolemy II in Alexandria. I think that would have been a culturally exciting place to live, especially in its heyday, with the pharos in the background and the museion filled with papyrus.

Secondly for me is in england under eleanor of aquitaine, just because i would like to meet her one day. Also the tudors (Though court would have been a dangerous place to be), versailles in the posse of marie antoinette, regency england with georgiana duchess of devonshire, byron and jane austen, possibly also (if that wasn't enough), italy or florence in the late 1800s, like lucy honeychurch in a room with a view.

But i would actually give my heart and soul to have lived in Paris in the 1930s. A hotbed of creativity, free thought, wild behaviour, crazed nights and civilised days... Mingling with F Scott Fitzgerald and Hemmingway and Gertrude Stein. With the jazz singers of the time, with the lovely lovely men, with the accordeon music, with cigarette holders and long gloves that go up to your elbows.

I wish. God, i wish with all my heart, fervently, completely that i could have experienced it. While i try not to care per se about what people say about me or think when they have a look at my ipod playlist and see that it is dominated by etta james, peggy lee and benny goodman, or when they look in my wardrobe and see all my attempts at recreating my favourite era, ... it is hard to ignore people sometimes though, and i wish that i wasn't considered odd because of what i love, but rather considered to be the norm.

i can dream though, and dream i do. dream a little dream of me.
You have read this article 30s / editorial / history / imagination / paris with the title an artist has no home except in paris. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2008/04/an-artist-has-no-home-except-in-paris.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...