i have known them all already, known them all.

afternoon tea is my favourite meal of the day. I like it better than breakfast, much more than dinner, and certainly more than lunch. I'm not sure what it is about it, perhaps its the sophistication of the thing, the idea of sipping tea and sampling cakes and chatting about frivolous frippery and lengths of pink satin ribbons.

I dont actually eat it that much, which is probably the best way to have it. If you have a think too much i think you get accustomed to it, and then it no longer has the novelty, the wow factor, the intense wide eyed feeling i get when the lovely waiter in chic monochrome brings the basket to the table, or when my mother calls out from the kitchen that the water is boiling.

I run from my room gleefully, knowing that all manner of sugary goodness is waiting for me. I used to be the only one who liked this meal, and the only one who willingly handed over large amounts of money for it with friends. But now all those near and dear to me are having it for parties, for birthdays and for catching up. I remember the days when saying 'i'll meet you for high tea in the observatory' were seldom heard, now i can barely catch a breath (and a break, pastry in large amounts is NOT good for you).

Maybe its the civilised aspect of it, like thinking back to the days when afternoon tea symbolised wealth and status and power. Maybe its the (not so secret) anglophile in me yearning out for a steaming cup of russian caravan in the afternoon. Maybe its just my sweet tooth. Or a combination of all of the above. I just love it with all my heart.

If hell was having to eat cucumber sandwiches and macaroons all day, then i'd gladly enter the arms of satan.



You have read this article england / food / tea with the title i have known them all already, known them all.. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2008/04/i-have-known-them-all-already-known.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...