10 things about my style - skirting the issue.

I've been inspired by this post by Madelene at Le Portillon and also this thread at tFS to try and think of 10 definitive things about my style. The posters at tFS have said very different things, some of them very interesting to read. I suppose it's the same reason why we love going to zoos and reading gossip magazines, but we all like to peek into the worlds of others sometimes. And those with an interesting in fashion necessarily are interested in others closets. There is definitely something fascinating about hearing other people's takes on their wardrobes. Why they wear certain things, where they got these ideas from, what dominates their wardrobe, what is conspicuously absent...  Like Madelene I'm inclined to do my '10 things about my style' posts one at a time, in order to get maximum understanding out of it. For this is an adventure and an exploration of me for me, as much as it is for you, non? 

Well first things first, and i think the defining thing about my wardrobe from an outsider's perspective: I wear skirts. 

A lot of skirts. Like i wrote in the denim post i haven't worn a pair of pants for 4 years (although my baggy boyfriend jeans are becoming a quick favourite recently), and i don't really do dresses that much, or if i do i pair them with crop tops to make them look like skirts. I don't really do short lengths, the shortest i go is just above the knee, but i do every variation of length longer than that. Ballerina is my favourite, a tricky length for winter (it can look weird with tights underneath) but i'm trying to make it happen with some leggings and attitude. 

I suppose i like the silhouette of a skirt detached from a top. There is something to be said for the lean lines of a continuing dress, but i like my clothes to be broken, whether it be by a top tucked into the waistband of a high-waisted skirt, or the belt cinching in a tunic, or a top half tucked in, half hanging out, careless and carefree. I like how with a skirt you can play with layers, a pair of leggings (or even another skirt) underneath with a few tops, cardigans, jackets and coats on top. I like how there is always a distinction between top and bottom, and you can pack as much punch into an outfit as you want. I've never been one for thoughtless, or rather, effortless dressing. My outfits are never over-thought, but i like to look as if i've gotten up in the morning and decided on what to wear, not just flung any which thing on. That works for some people, namely those with tousled bed hair and long legs, but for me a bit of 'thoughtful dressing' is in order. And skirts give me the opportunity to do that.

I'm not sure where this has come from. My mum wears only pants, so perhaps its this subconscious rebellion against her aesthetic. There's also the fact that for a while when i was 16 i went through this vintage revival, i was obsessed with the 1940s, and i started to wear all vintage ensembles, high-waisted skirts and pin-tucked blouses and waves in my hair. I've evolved from then, but i've retained almost all of those skirts that i still wear today in different ways. It's odd isn't it, how a single item can be so changed by the way that you wear it. 

So, a catalogue of my skirts.

Short (for me)  
1. Crimson Red Knitted skirt, knee length, interesting panel detail - Marni. 
2. lilac purple silk chiffon asymmetrical skirt, knee length, ruffles and tiers - Vanessa Bruno
3. Black silk/wool mix pencil skirt, above the knee - Stella McCartney for Target
4. Bright sea blue canvas tulip skirt, above the knee, pockets and exaggerated hemline  - COS
5. Pale pink silk slip skirt, knee length, lace applique at hemline - Vintage

Mid-length
1. Navy blue and metallic mix safari skirt, calf length, frayed hemline - Willow
2. bright coral cotton bodycon skirt, calf length - 80s Supre (vintage)
3. Black and white herringbone pencil skirt, calf length, mustard yellow lining - Vintage
4. Black cotton/canvas skirt, scalloped hem and embroidered pockets - Tsumori Chisato
5. Bright green raw silk skirt, just below knee length - Tuesday's Slave

Long
1. Black and white tye-dye skirt in chiffon, ankle length - Josh Goot
2. Brown, Red and blue checked skirt, ankle length (although i can roll it up) - Vintage
3. Saffron Yellow full skirt, ankle length, so heavy! - Vintage
4. Black structured maxi skirt, ankle length - Vintage
5. Hand-painted with japanese-style birds maxi skirt, longer than full length (i have to roll it up haha) - Nicola Waite
6. Lime Green Slip, silk and cotton mix, pockets - Kirrily Johnston



And now a whole raft of outfit shots... I'm sorry they're all taken by my webcam, i'm horrible with my digi and self-timer (i can never find a place that will capture my whole outfit and can't work the self timer). I know it doesn't capture details as well, but i've zoomed in by bringing my laptop closer (haha) for your viewing pleasure. 


Skirt 1




full length black structured skirt - vintage, richard nicoll teal tunic dress, vintage belt and butterfly brooch, topshop necklace, yves saint laurent trench coat, topshop beanie



Skirt 2




jiffies, target leggings, tuesday's slave bright green skirt, sportsgirl cropped jumper, a.p.c striped top, sportsgirl suede biker jacket, cos necklace. 



Skirt 3



saffron yellow vintage skirt, sportsgirl croptop, thrifted dries van noten esque cropped jacket


Skirt 4




brown and red checked vintage skirt, COS drapey top, vintage lanvin flower shirt, vintage belt and brooch, marni bag. 



Skirt 5


Marni skirt, leggings, bassike tee, thrifted cacharel blazer, H&M gold scarf. 




X
You have read this article fashion / inspiration / me / outfit / style / wardrobe with the title 10 things about my style - skirting the issue.. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2009/06/10-things-about-my-style-skirting-issue.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...