lobster love





topshop beanie, oliver peoples glasses, sportsgirl suede jacket, striped top, vintage belt, brooch and saffron yellow skirt. 


I was scrolling through the archives of Sea of Shoes yesterday for no particular reason. It had been such a stressful day, i came home from being out friday night to find our house flooded from a burst water tank and so i spent saturday morning shifting water out the back door in the hopes to make our house presentable for my dad's birthday party yesterday. And we had no hot water, so mum had to cook without it, which was a task and a half (think lots of kettle-ing). Anyway i was just tired and sleepy and i love Jane's blog. I know i'm not the first (nor the last) to say it, but it's just a delight to read. She has an incredible wardrobe, puts together outfits like no-one else, her pictures are clean and sharp (unlike my webcam ones haha), her layout is nice to look at and she has a lovely writing voice. It's just very fun to read. 

Anyway her archives are littered with her love for animal jewellery in particular belts and brooches.  I was so inspired i went looking for what i had similar, finding a butterfly, horse and snake brooch as well as some snake and dragon bracelets. But then i found  a beautiful (no really, it's stunning in real life), painted burnished silver lobster brooch about the size of my fist and then pinned it over a vintage belt. My mum won a whole bag of sea animal brooches once at an auction and i've been farming them out to my friends for birthdays for years, one of my dearest friends got a portugese man of war that is about 15 cm long, with hints of gold through the green. It's gorgeous. 

To play against the green of the brooch I wore my saffron yellow vintage skirt from Paris that weighs about 3 kilos, it's literally so heavy when i bought it we couldn't get it into a bag, my striped top (very french, non?) and my new suede biker jacket from sportsgirl. It's a total rick owens rip off, and so i totally love it, and it's this lovely purple/grey colour. As soon as i bought it i wanted to wear it with my yellow skirt, and every time i wear the yellow skirt i want to wear the striped top, and it all seems to look quite nice together haha! It ended up being quite a nice mesh of colours. 

Anyway i best be off, this media essay isn't going to write itself... unfortunately. 

X

NB: also the best thing about the jacket is that it has these elastic panels in the sleeves, the kind of detail that makes Rick Owens stuff so covetable. I know it's a shameless copy, but i can't afford Rick at all, and i really want something to emulate that streamlined biker cool with a hint of luxe that he embodies. Mmmm sorry fashion gods! 



Edit: I didn't realise i had been tagged by Little Shadow, and now seems as good a time as any to answer the questions. I've done this quiz a few times before but because it changes every time i do it it's still fun to do hehe. 

What is your current obsession? Muted colours. I've always loved colour but been unsure how to wear it exactly, but now i know that the best way is to mix a whole bunch of muted, tonal shades together and hope for the best!

What are you wearing now? see above. :)

What is on your desk? Urrgghh my notes for media and my practice essay *shudder* and then a hundred million other things, vintage bowls full of jewellery, NARS brightening serum, my wallets and moleskines, a pile of books (Lolita, Bonjour tristesse, eucalptus, Possession), phone, keys, glasses, ipod, mints, some film from my camera i haven't developed yet... 

What would you like to learn to do? learn another language, i'm thinking German or Russian. 

Name a song you are currently obsessing over Sinking Feeling - Roisin Murphy

What was the last thing you bought?  My sportsgirl jacket! haha. 

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? I don't want to say Paris or London or New York even though those cities are some of my favourites. Off the beaten track i would say Edinburgh, Bath, Vienna and Venice. All of these cities have this kind of infectious history that i could just drink up. 

What languages can you speak? English and French with a smattering of useless German and Chinese ('thankyou for the lovely meal, Grandma is the extent of my Cantonese haha). 

What do you want to be when you grow up? A Fashion New Director or Features Editor for a Magazine is the ultimate, but recently i've been toying with the idea of becoming a Creative Director or Buyer... I just love looking at trends and things. And if i could buy with someone else's money other than mine that would be much much much better. 

What are your favourite websites? Oh hundreds and hundreds. Facebook, Twitter, tFS, Ebay, and now Bloglovin' which is seriously the best thing since sliced bread. I can wake up in the morning and scroll through all the new posts before uni. Lovely. 

If you were to pick up a pen right now, what would be the first thing you'd write? An article about the new denim for a magazine. (i'm so inspired by my new jeans-wearing persona i can't contain it)

If you you could be anywhere in the world at any point in time, where would you be? I would love to have been in Kenya in the 1930s. The hedonism fused with Africa would have been something to behold. And yes, i've been watching out of Africa again. 

The colour that sums you up perfectly? I think a rich crimson red. Mysterious and vampish but still a little fun.  

+ What are you looking forward to in the near future? pay day, uni exams to be over and blissful 5 weeks of holidays, holiday in hong kong (hello lane crawford sales!) and winter. 


You have read this article fashion / inspiration / me / outfit / style with the title lobster love. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2009/06/lobster-love.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...