don't fence me in.

'Tea to the english is really a picnic indoors.'
Alice Walker











Pent up inside studying for finals is a sure fire way to make the heart long for open spaces. There's a great old ragtime song that goes 'give me land, lots of land under starry skies above, don't fence me in'. I used to listen to that on repeat when I was studying for the HSC, it seemed to capture the mood of the moment perfectly. I didn't want notebooks or rote learning or pie charts. I wanted lunches in a park, with the sky for a roof. You can picnic inside, sure, on the floor of your dining room, but a real picnic is in among the grass, with baskets full of fresh food and the best friends for company. As soon as the HSC was over we rolled about outside, scoffing down little cupcakes, swilling around cheap champagne and sharing war stories. The weather was warm and fresh, we would blast tunes from ipod speakers, everything from new order to phoenix, dizzy rascal and sneaky sound system. And we would lie down on grass, picnic blankets and discarded jackets and just contemplate the infinite freedom of summer.

I'm almost there, almost. 3 exams in 2 weeks and then I'm free.
I can almost taste it.

X
You have read this article photos / picnic / polaroids / travel with the title don't fence me in.. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2009/11/don-fence-me-in.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...