cinematic style - Renee Zellweger in Jerry Maguire


There always was something about Tom Cruise. Back in the day, you know, maybe not now (although, really, has he aged at all?). Those boyish looks, that floppy, devil maycare hair, that suave, golden boy charm. He was like that guy in high school that knew he was good-looking and would always give you that smile, the perfect smile, the one that melted knees. I don't know, I guess... I get it. I get the whole Tom Cruise in the 90s thing. And Jerry Maguire is like that typical charming Tom Cruise movie where Tom Cruise plays that typical charming Tom Cruise character. As great as his wardrobe was - sportsjackets and white tee shirts and ray bans - I want to talk about Renee Zellweger's wardrobe instead (the prevalence of Tom in all these pictures is because I got these from a Tom Cruise fan site, my first and last visit, I promise!).

I feel like I'm being drawn to this type of dressing more and more. My hair has been cut again, and it's grazing the top of my shoulders now instead of hanging down over them like before. It's an easy cut, and it goes with easy clothing. Dorothy's clothing is easy because her life is hard - she's got a young child and an overbearing sister and, from pretty much the start of the film, she's relatively unemployed. As such, her daily wardrobe is comfortable, simple clothing; denim jeans with cropped sweaters, fitted tee shirts and capri pants, sneakers and cardigans. I miss this kind of Renee Zellweger (I'm not the only one, Christa D'Souza rhapsodised about Jennifer Lawrence's pillowy Renee Zellweger-esque cheeks in the November issue of Vogue UK) curvy and young and vulnerable, she's quite fantastic in this movie, if a little weepy. I love that classic Rachel way she piles her hair at the top of her head with a scrunchy or a clip. It's easy and simple and without thought, but also, in the same breath, effortlessly sexy. 

That's what is so great about Dorothy's wardrobe. Even in sweatshirts and baggy slacks, even without money or contacts, even with a three year old son, Dorothy manages to get the guy. She has stars in her eyes and she's hopelessly naive - you can sort of see that in her too long pants, or her daggy sweaters - but she still gets the guy. Maybe it's down to the way she always believed in Jerry, or because she stands up for herself when push comes to shove, or because, at the end of the day she's Renee Zellweger. But I like to think that it's because of her simple, easy clothing that never complicates things. Even her wedding dress with that gorgeous high cut on the shoulder, was totally unfussy. You had me at hello.

X


You have read this article 90s / celebrity / fashion / fashion style / films / hair / inspiration / minimalism / movies / sport / style with the title cinematic style - Renee Zellweger in Jerry Maguire. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/12/cinematic-style-renee-zellweger-in.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...