maximum exposure

American Apparel - Lightweight Sheer Rib Raglan Pullover in Dark Violet, Cream, Black and Violet.

I think one of the most beautiful parts of the body is the shoulder. The shape of the shoulder is so intriguing and so fascinating, it undulates and moves gracefully no matter the person. Although i may not have a great relationship with my upper arms, my shoulders i love a lot (which causes problems, evidently, when trying to 'expose' them). They have a light smattering of freckles and are emotive beyond belief, I shrug them to indicate boredom or confusion, I coyly turn my head to their side, I raise them out of self-consciousness or self-attentiveness.

I went into American Apparel this morning and bought myself one, okay, two, of those pullovers. They are perfect, and this is coming from someone who vowed never to set foot in american apparel on principle (i think the policies veer ever so slightly too far into the sexist arena). However, fashion won out, as it always does, and I needed an off the shoulder jumper that was actually off the shoulder rather than just pulled over to one side, as I do with my other jumpers. This one is absolutely perfect, it hands down loosely if i want it to, but it also falls flush against the chest when my shoulder gets a little chilly as well.

For someone who doesn't like to get her legs out and whose chest remains hidden from view other ways to reach a level of sexuality and allure in dress must be found. Not that one has to always look sexy, far from it, sexy is the last on my list of priorities believe you me. However sometimes, just sometimes mind, you want to inject a little something something into an outfit. Sexiness is not just about sex, i think, it's more about inner self confidence and appeal. I think that flashing a little bit of shoulder is the perfect way to do this when everything else is hidden. It's degradee and undone, it suggests clothes that have been quickly thrown on... in haste.




It's that idea of balance, too. The best looks for me are always ones that turn balance into a fine art. Eclecticism and eccentricity never becomes overpowering, but rather a finely tuned mix that complements and contrasts. The off the shoulder look is one way to reach this kind of balance - by exposing one of the shoulders you, by default, have to cover the other one up, and although the top is visually non-symetrical, the contrast between both arms is striking and significant. It is effortless, as if someone has pushed down the sleeve of your jumper, and exciting.

In fashion and in life it is often the littlest things that make the most impact. Details like these make outfits - how much less wonderful would Yasmin's outfit have been had she not exposed her shoulder (and the strap of her muted fuschia silk dress) with her off the shoulder jumper? I remember reading somewhere an interview with street style photographer Garance Dore. She was talking about what makes her stop in the street to take someone's photo and she cited the little things, the knot in a tee shirt, the slick of pastel nail polish, the cuff of a pant. I think that we can reasonably add the glimpse of a shoulder here. For who would not want to instantly catch on camera that moment when a jumper slips down the arm, as you reach for a wine glass or heft your shopping bags higher upon your arm. That little slip is so human, and therefore by default, so beautiful.


X

You have read this article with the title maximum exposure. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2009/12/maximum-exposure.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...