empire state of mind



They say life's what happens when you're busy making other plans. But sometimes in New York, life is what happens when you're waiting for a table.

Sex and the City (season 4).




Cliche, yes, to start off a post about New York with a quote from Sex and the City, but time and time again this quote comes back to me, especially when i think about New York. In a city so busy, so vibrant, so colourful, it can be easy to get caught up in the urban blur. Life, and some such things, are what happens when everything slows down as you ride the subway or pause over a cup of tea or even, wait for a table.

I'm a lucky girl. Due to working ridiculous hours at David Jones, a big Australian department store (one reason why i haven't been posting as much, i worked 14 hours straight on boxing day alone, and then another 12 the next day *shudder*) i had saved up a bit of money and wanted to spend it on something slightly more worthwhile than clothes and food and alcohol. I am of the opinion that, lovely as clothes and food and alcohol are, large amounts of money should be channelled into experiences. That is why I have decided to go to New York in February for 2 and a bit weeks. I had been toying with the idea for a while. As incredible as these university holidays have been, i'm hitting the three month itch and am getting a bit restless. Then there's the fact that i miss my best friend who lives there so incredibly much that it hurts (and it's her 18th birthday in february!) and to couple that, i've managed to score some work experience there as well as the chance to be at new york fashion week (wow).

I think the real crux of the issue is that i've got travel in my bones. One of my new years resolutions is to explore more of Australia, i have been hopelessly remiss with travelling around my own country and will rectify this gap this year, with any luck. I just don't like sticking in the same place too long, i get bored and I get tetchy. I love to see things, to breathe new, different air, to fix my eyes upon skylines that are familiar, but not native.

Anyway, i was hoping to ask you all for any recommendations you have for new york! I have been there twice, and have all my favourite things i like to do, but this visit i would like to explore a little more, get out of my new york comfort zone. Restaurants/cafes, bars, theatres, museums and art galleries and of course shops and boutique recommendations are most welcome.

I leave in 3 weeks, i can hardly believe it!

X
You have read this article inspiration / me / New York / travel with the title empire state of mind. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/01/empire-state-of-mind.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...