happy birthday!




So, my blog is now five years old. An anniversary and a milestone that thrills me as well as shocks me, all in the same breath.  I can't quite believe that I made it this far and that I have, without question, felt the same unwavering love and devotion for this little thing every day for five years. This - and you, of course, of course - have seen me through my last year of school, four years of, at times, thankless and overwhelming university, through sickness and health, through trials and tribulations, through relationships and tragedy and success and triumph and the detritus of human life that falls somewhere in between. I had an inkling at the start that this would become an integral, irreplaceable part of my daily existence, but I could never have known just how much. Thank you for reading and thank you for finding this place where I talk (and talk and talk and talk) a source of - I hope! - equal parts excitement and inspiration, exasperation and amusement.

I always end up doing questionnaires to toast blog anniversaries. I'm addicted to them - I'm naturally curious (read: nosy) - and I love learning more about people. So here's a chance to learn more about me (although, to be honest, none of it will come as much of a shock, I fear). This one is lifted from Vanity Fair, as many good things are.

My Stuff - Hannah-Rose

Clothes


Underwear Bonds and Target, is that boring? I have a few nice lacy things lying around for special occasions though. Sneakers Superga or Springcourt. T-shirts Bassike x-wide in ice blue all the way. Favourite accessory I have a real soft spot for my Benah x My Chameleon Tara bag in darkest, inky navy. And I also love my Isabel Marant Dicker boots. Favourite boutiques In Sydney bloodorange and Incu, I love Catbird and Steven Alan in New York and online My Chameleon, Anaise and La Garconne. Favourite print Stripes. The only print that matters. Something seasonless Sandals. I wear them all through the year, excepting gale force winds and rain. Jewellery you never take off I have a necklace my parents gave me for my 21st birthday from Me & Ro that I have literally never taken off. It's normally joined by a host of Petitegrand trinkets; a gold anklet, a gold bar and cord bracelet and my beautiful custom i.d bracelet (adorned with the letters HR!). 



Inspirations 

Favourite discoveries Food haunts will never fail to inspire me. At the moment I love Cornersmith in Marrickville, where the produce is fresh and the food is delicious, and Bread & Circus had me from hello. The colours, the flavour combinations and the unfussy, uncomplicated approach to cooking inspires me in all aspects of life. Shopping Merci in Paris is an incredibly inspiring shop just to browse in. I also always get inspired in bookshops. I love Kinokuniya and Berkelouws in Paddington, but also for a smaller, more intimate experience, the beautiful Lesley McKays store on Queen St in Woollahra, where I bought my first Harry Potter novel! Necessary extravagance Travel. Favourite place in the world Paris, without hesitation. I particularly like Rue Debelleyme in the Marais, and, more recently the Rue Jean Nicot in the 7th. Favourite Charity Starlight Foundation at the Sydney Children's Hospital. Favourite movies Too many. Lost in Translation and Somewhere for those moments when only Sofia Coppola will do, I do and Notting Hill for sheer entertainment, Out of Africa because it is wonderful, countless adaptations of novels like Little Women with Winona Ryder and the Ang Lee Sense and Sensibility (so perfect! so perfect!), Action and thrills from James Bond, and who could forget favourites like Gosford Park and the Dreamers and An Education and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain (mostly I just love Ang Lee) and, oh, too many. Favourite Hotel I've had wonderful nights at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong and the Lafayette House in New York but I think it would have to be the Park Hyatt in Tokyo. Who is an idol of yours Ashley Olsen for the clothes, Sophie Dahl for the words, Rose Carrarini for the food. Favourite flower shops Poho in Potts Point is lovely. 

 The Rose Bakery cookbook
 

Beauty products 


Lipsticks I am addicted to the NARS Sheer lip treatment, more of a bit of a slick of colour than anything. They're the replacement for my OG, the NARS SPF balm in Sabrina. I like Bianca for hydration, Greta for a little touch of mauve and Lara for a bit of peachy pink. Mascara I don't really wear mascara but I just had a look in my beauty box and I've got a Maybelline one! Foundation Again, no foundation... I have a tinted moisturiser though! I don't really wear that thought either... Oh well. Shampoo Garnier fructis in the moisturising one is a favourite, but at the moment I've been using Muji Honey and Ginger picked up in Japan and it smells wonderful. Hair products When I had long, coloured hair I swore by the Aesop Rose Hair and Scalp Hydration Mask and the Bumble and Bumble Mending Mask (for the 'truly' damaged, which my hair definitely was back then). Now I don't need too many products because it's so healthy! But the odd touch of Aesop or B and B now and then doesn't go astray. Moisturiser I use the Grown Mandarin and Rosemary Leaf for my body and the Aesop Primrose moisturiser on my face. I've also started using Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre here and there on super-dry areas and in winter, and I picked up Clarins Beauty Flash Balm in Paris for a little something extra. I love it! A little spray of something hydrating, like the Aesop one or Avene eau thermale is great in summer. I keep my Avene spray in the fridge! Fragrance For summer I love Diptyque Philosykos or Balenciaga's L'essence and in winter it has to be Serge Lutens Five Oclock. Soaps I have Aesop Geranium Leaf in my shower, but I've also got a little stick of this egg white swedish soap from Catbird in New York, which is just lovely. Where do you get your hair cut Lately I've been cutting it myself, which is what I love about this new shorter, low maintenance style I have. When I had colour in my hair I went to Renya Xydis or Salon X in the city. Never leave home without Lip balm. I apply it constantly. Also a good book because you never know when you might need to have something to pass the time. 



Home 

Where do you live Paddington, Sydney. Sheets I have beautiful sheets! My mum bought them from this Yves Delorme store when it was closing down on the corner of William Street. I also have a beautiful vintage french linen quilt (which she has stolen and has on her bed right now) from the markets. China I would love a collection of Limoges. Right now I have two tea cups and a little milk jug and sugar bowl. Favourite flowers Peonies when in season and roses always. Favourite gadget I really am obsessed with my iphone, but I also like my Canon s95 and my polaroid camera. Stationery I recently picked up plain recycled paper notecards, hemp string and coloruful masking tape from Muji in Tokyo. That, combined with the graphic thank you cards I got from Merci will make up my stationery routine for this year. Favourite neighbourhood restaurants I will never get tired of red wine and pizza on a rainy night at Love Supreme on Oxford street or salt and pepper squid at dusk at Sea Cow on Boundary street. I don't know what I'd do if Chu Bay, our local vietnamese restaurant, closed down. The ginger chicken with huge slices of real ginger has been my constant companion these twenty years at least. Favourite drink Apple, carrot and ginger juice. Favourite dessert Do I have to choose? Favourite snack A good soft cheese and crackers, like Fromage D'affinois. Top four TV shows Law and Order SVU, Downton Abbey, The Good Wife and Game of Thrones.



Here's to another five!

X
You have read this article aesop / apartment / beauty / benah / birthday / blogging / clothes / clothing / food / home / isabel marant / jewelry / me / nars / perfume / shoes with the title happy birthday!. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2013/03/happy-birthday.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...