how pleasant

"How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!—When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library." 

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice (I know it's the awful Miss Bingley who says this, and it's meant to be ironic, but I do love this quote!)



one, pleasure: The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy, Winter by Adam Gopnik accompanied by cafe au lait bowls full of tea, Maison.Balzac Le Sud and Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

two, study: Stephanie LaCava's Extraordinary Theory of Objects, From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming, Orientalism by Edward Said, accompanied by jam donuts and a leopard print clutch by Zimmermann from their new collection (thank you!)

three, comfort: Where I was from by Joan Didion, Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner, accompanied by cranberry and caramel chocolate, a COS sweater, Catbird Fleurs de Nuit candle, Chanel's June and May nail polish.

four: my favourite spread from Maurice Chevalier's Paris


Long weekends are all about reading. Reading for pleasure, reading for study, reading recipes, reading essays, reading poetry and reading obscure 15th century treatises on Christianity. The proper accompaniments for reading are any/all of the following: cups of tea, scented candles, oversized opticals, brightly coloured nailpolish, cosy knitted sweaters and blocks of chocolate. I always seem to have a pile of books two metres high next to my bed. Hopefully this weekend I can reduce the load just a tiny little bit. Reading is such a forgotten, underrated luxury.

X
You have read this article books / cake / candles / chocolate / COS / food / joan didion / knitwear / photos / pictures / quotes / tea / university with the title how pleasant. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-pleasant.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...