utlitity utility


my gap parka that is fast becoming my most favourite item in all my wardrobe - seen here in central park, NYC.


I remember, back in the days of Freaky Friday and black nailpolish, i was a little bit of a fan of the cargo pants. I had a pair I'd found in some charity store or at the back of my brother's wardrobe that I wore religiously in the manner of a 'rock chick' - think unlaced connies, a tight fitting emily the strange tee shirt, streaked hair and a lot of eyeliner. I thought i was so cool. I think I gave my mother a heart attack the first time I walked out in that outfit.

The cargo pants may have fallen by the wayside, but the utility look is having a bit of a moment. Everything from trenches to satchel bags are being revisited in a way that makes you wonder why on earth you stopped wearing them in the first place (answer: satchel bags can look a little silly after you leave uni, and the reverse is true for trench coats). Now all I, and thousands of other fash-watching females across the globe, want to wear are utility inspired ensembles in the hopes that we can channel some of that alexa chung cool.

Utility comes in two sorts - the hard-core leather pant wearing kind or the softer, mixology kind. The first kind involves a lot of rips and holes, messy bed hair and the physique of Charlotte Gainsbourg. You have to run around in Balmain-esque outfits where the shoulders are just as strong as the woman. Ankle boost required. The second kind is the one who throws the parka on to toughen up an outfit that is a little girly or dress down the kind of party kicks that would prompt comments of 'walk of shame' were you to walk out in broad daylight. The parka, or other various utility separates, are needed to throw into the mix of dressing, not to define the outfit itself. The first kind is a woman fearsome to behold and capable of causing sighs of envy the world round.


TYPE 1
type 2
topshop parka, balmain tee shirt, paul senior sunglasses, monserat necklace, missoni necklace, chanel rouge coco, lanvin bracelet, acne ankle boots, preen leather pants, balenciaga bag, danniijo cuff.


TYPE 2
type1
topshop parka, bassike top, scott willson necklace, ray ban aviators, jordy askill heart ring, ysl ring, toy watch, linea pelle belt, dries van noten skirt, miu miu heels, proenza schouler ps1



I am definitely of the second kind. What about you?

X
You have read this article clothes / fashion / high street / me / photos / pictures / polyvore / street style / style with the title utlitity utility. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/04/utlitity-utility.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...