down under



Fashion's first couple - Garance Dore and Scott Schuman have arrived in Australia, carrying the hopes and dreams of every fashionista with them. I remember when they were here for fashion week last year every fashionista within a 5 mile radius was primping and preening for the chance to get shot by them - certainly a sight to behold. I am going to the Garance Dore launch tomorrow at Westfield, and hopefully get to meet her, I truly love her photos. And I am glad that they are here - it probably cost Westfield an arm and a leg to bring them out, but i think Australian fashion needs to have a little more attention paid to it. If you think about it, some of the great new talents - Josh Goot, Dion Lee, Richard Nicoll - all Australian. And when more and more big industry names travel down, take street style photos (tommy ton, i'm looking at you), report on shows (susie bubble, ahem) and be general style superstars (garance would definitely fill this role), the world should sit up and take notice.

And, besides, I think the light in Australia is particularly beautiful and conducive to taking breath-taking photos. But hey, maybe I'm biased. 

I get a rush of patriotism whenever I see a picture in Sydney, or Melbourne (or anywhere else in Australia, for that matter) on Garance's blog or the Sartorialist. But, more often than not, commentators say things like 'You make Sydney look beautiful', or 'Wow, through your lens melbourne looks good'. I am no patriot, not by any means. I can't wait to move away - but I have travel and restlessness in my bones. When I take a step back and look objectively at Australia I am often moved by its raw, roughly hewn beauty. Beauty in things like bright, blinding sunshine, high cloudless skies, never-ending stretches of green, blue and golden sand, jutting cliff faces, deep fried fish and chips and juicy fruit the colour of rainbows. Nothing is perfectly formed here, but who wants perfection anyway?

Yes, Sydney might look delicious in the photos of Garance and Scott, but it looks delicious anyway. You just need to know where, and how, to look. 


my favourite australia photos from the sart and garance:










1-4: the sartorialist
5-10 - garance dore

X
You have read this article australia / fashion / fashion week / garance dore / photos / pictures / street style / street-style / sydney with the title down under. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/04/down-under.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...