summer wardrobe planning - 2013

It's that time of year again! To prepare for this I had a look at the list I put together around this time last year, and I can't believe how nothing has changed. I'm ashamed to say that a hat is still on the list, despite me actually buying what I thought was the perfect one in New York, but it's just not quite there (it's mostly just a little bit small, so if I succeed in my experiment in stretching it a little then all this might be in the past!). Like love, I'll know it when I see it, and it will make all that have come before it so desperately, desperately wrong. And re: those loose trousers and the delicate jewellery, more of those always. I think my pant to skirt ratio is on an upward, never-ending trajectory, especially during summer. Don't ask why. Maybe it has to do with pockets! And I'll always want more pieces of delicate jewellery, you really cannot have enough (and I always, always, always lose them. It's actually quite devastating). But other than last year's list that apparently I'm still working on, what have I got planned for next summer? Let's see, shall we? 

1. A massive, so-big-you-look-kind-of-homeless, wrap-around-you-three-times trench coat in the perfect shade of tobacco brown.


I quite like this coat but in actual fact this season I'm going to get the TOME one. It's in the first image of this post and my goodness it's beautiful. I love those contrast pockets, that upturned collar, that oversized swagger.  I love how it's almost like a 1980s take on the classic trench, the kind of thing Madonna might wear in Desperately Seeking Susan, all curly hair and leg warmers. But, that's not to say that if the right classic number passes me by that I won't settle for it, either. I've always been a sucker for a good trench, and although I actually have one at the moment, it's definitely not perfect. It'll do for now, but in the long term I want something that is going to last. There are a few things wrong with my trench - it's not big enough (it fits me, but I want it to swamp me), it's got this weird stripey lining and odd zippers everywhere. I like it a lot, but I can do better. I want something that's going to stick it out for me through thick and thin, be a transeasonal coverup and a cold-weather friend. TOME, do you think you can do that?

2. A plain black swimsuit with thin straps, low scoop back and a high leg. 


So that's kind of specific. But it's swimwear after all, you're practically naked so you want to look good. I'm not sure I need to justify this, it's summer and I need a swimming costume and since the one I have currently is a) brown, b) ugly, c) about 8 years old (I'm not even joking, I bought it in year 9 and never replaced it) I think it's about time, don't you? Just something plain, black and flattering, if at all possible!

3. A leather backpack 


The time to fulfill all those cool-girl fantasies of swinging a backpack off one shoulder wearing an oversized blue shirt and blue jeans and funky suede birkenstocks and a heap of blinging anklets is now! The time to relive high school and effortless amounts of teenage nonchalance with just one swing of a leather backpack is now! This one is another total stab in the dark, since I won't be able to afford The Row one. Ever. And I think the Theory ones are still just out of my league. The search continues, but, just like with most things, I'll know when I know. 

4. The perfect hat.


Like seriously, I know these exist, so where are they? She has one! She's wearing one right there! I want it big enough that it can slid over my head and not give me a headache, big enough that if I'm wearing a low pony it's not going to stick, but not too big that a slight breeze will knock it right off. I want something that's going to be the full stop to my summer outfits. I want something that is really stiff, that isn't going to bend around or blow in the wind. Just a little something to perch on my head with a loose sweater and some tapered trousers and some double strap sandals for a day out. The search continues, as ever.

5. An oversized smock dress, long-ish, like maybe calf length, with pockets and a boat neck in a nice neutral brown colour. 

 

I've got one quite similar to this - not calf length, resting on the knees - from Acne, and it's a life saver in Summer. I can wear it tucked into trousers and work and it's easy breezy, or I can belt it over a long skirt and it acts like some kind of chic tunic, or I can get a safety pin, hitch it up and across to my shoulder to give it a bit of a grecian drape. That little garment has saved my life on so many occasions - it manages to be both dressy and casual at the same time - and I think that it's time to get another one, this time in a different colour, to add to the collection. This La Garconne Moderne number is pretty great (and I do have a thing for la garconne moderne). It doesn't have to be silk, but I think you get the best drape out of silk. If it wasn't silk it would have to be some kind of silk-cotton-jersey mix, like what Gary Bigeni uses in his beautiful garments, because I want it to have a bit of weight too it. It couldn't be plain cotton, because then it would feel like a tee shirt, and I have enough of those. This needs to be something a little... extra

This list has more abstracts than ever - if anyone remembers last season they'll remember that almost every item had an exact designer and style name to it. This season I only know one thing - that I'm gonna get my hands on that TOME trench. Oh, and I know one other thing, I guess. That I'll know perfection when I see it. We'll see how I go, considering that last season I got everything crossed off pretty earlier and then had to limit my purchasing a bit (that went pretty much as planned, but it wasn't easy. I am guilty of a few sale purchases though). This season is going to be more of a search, which is probably going to be much more exciting. I really hope I can lock down some of these things, once and for all! Summer, here we come.

X
You have read this article anklets / ashley olsen / bags / clothes / clothing / hats / jackets / jewelry / money / shopping / the row with the title summer wardrobe planning - 2013. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-wardrobe-planning-2013.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...