our country


I'll get up soon, and leave my bed unmade. 
I'll go outside and split off kindling wood, 
From the yellow-box log that lies beside the gate, 
And the sun will be high, for I get up late now. 
I'll drive my axe in the log and come back in 
With my armful of wood, and pause to look across 
The Christmas paddocks aching in the heat, 
The windless trees, the nettles in the yard... 
And then I'll go in, boil water and make tea. 

This afternoon, I'll stand out on the hill 
And watch my house away below, and how 
The roof reflects the sun and makes my eyes 
Water and close on bright webbed visions smeared 
On the dark of my thoughts to dance and fade away, 
Then the sun will move on, and I will simply watch, 
Or work, or sleep. And evening will draw in. 
 
Coming on dark, I'll go home, light the lamp 
And eat my corned-beef supper, sitting there 
At the head of the table. Then I'll go to bed. 
 Last night I thought I dreamt - but when I woke 
The screaming was only a possum skiing down 
The iron roof on little moonlit claws.

Les Murray, 'Widower in The Country' 

X
You have read this article photos / pictures / poetry / quotes with the title our country. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2013/06/our-country.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...