all about me

there is always one show a season where you just want to grab at everything you see and keep it forever. there are some shows where individual pieces might stare out at you and implore you to purchase, but that magic pull that makes you love everything - even things that you normally wouldn't go for - is reserved for one show alone. Last season it was, bizarrely for me considering minimalist utility was not something you would have described my style as at the time, Phoebe Philo's spring collection for Celine. Rather than the clothes themselves (though they were undoubtedly very lovely), what drew me to the collection was the energy and atmosphere it imparted for Spring and Summer. Pared down elegance in a number of easy-going separate in the muted tones of a vermeer painting. What wasn't to love when the rest of the shows had been peddling a blinding array of flashy mini-dresses and slashed blazers. The understated, yet not romantic (there was nothing 'soft' about this collection), beauty of Celine last season was captivating and set the tone for many a wardrobe haul-over (not the least my own).

style.com

This season I can safely say that Dries Van Noten holds the key to my autumn/winter mood. I know the shows are not technically finished yet, but I doubt i will see something to top what Dries Van Noten has stirred inside me. I recognise it all from last season - those feelings of longing, the stirrings of d.i.y's in the recesses of your mind and the biting of the lip as you struggle to think what might best replicate the looks from your own closet. I want to be the Dries Van Noten woman this autumn, just like how I wanted to be the Celine woman last spring - and the interesting thing is, the Autumn Dries woman is almost like a slightly more 'me' version of the Celine Spring woman.

All those elements of Celine - the no-fuss utilitarian lines, the sinuous draping contrasted against harsher body-con silhouettes, the neutral palette shot through with jolts of colour, the way evening was crafted through separates - they all found a home in Dries' autumn collection. But they were twisted and shaken about in a way typical of Dries. His girls had messy hair, hip sunglasses and canvas clutches tucked under their arms, they most certainly were not Philo's urban jungle sirens. What they were was ever so slightly more real, and thus achievable - they looked like they were just walking down the street in their daily uniform comprising of mis-matching prints, khaki separates and the perfect balance between sporty and glamour.


style.com

I looked at the models and thought - hey! that's just how I dress.. Or at least just how i WANT to dress. Elements of my style were there, and quite strongly, but the collection had pulled it all together in ways that had either never occurred to me before or i had ruled out as naff. Ideas like this had never really been presented on a runway to me in quite so clear a way - I like prints a lot and equally divide my love between plaid, stripes, leopard and floral. So why not mix them all? I like the sporty lines of sweatshirts and track pants, so why not jazz them up with tailored jackets and full skirted evening gowns?

It was almost as if Dries was presenting all those elements of my style and wardrobe and showing me how to update them. This was my style - but better, more pulled together - in other words, just how i WISHED it would be. I couldn't take notes fast enough. Come winter you'll find me kitted up like this Dries girl in rehashes of my own wardrobe staples - the trench coat, the khaki parka, the tapered pant, the floral blazer, the striped breton, the sweat shirt, the full skirt, the plaid shirt - but, here's hoping, in that cool, street-style way of the collection itself. The magic is in the styling, the individual pieces are lovely indeed, but it is the styling that is the hero of this collection. Imagine the looks without that elegant yet slightly witty touch? For how else would you describe the pairing of a floor length bright amethyst skirt cut on the bias with an oversized sweat shirt falling slightly off the shoulder? genius.


style.com

This collection spoke to me in a very powerful way, and not just to say GET THEE TO POEPKE/BELINDA AND BUY THEE SOME DRIES. It said - consider your wardrobe. Think outside the square when it comes to getting dressed in the morning. Throw things together and then pare them back with a sporty or military piece. And dear god, get yourself a good pair of sunglasses.

X


You have read this article celine / dries van noten / fashion shows / fashion week / paris fashion week with the title all about me. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/03/all-about-me.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...