maniac


themaniamania

Tamila Purvis has left her fashion stylist days behind to become a jewelry designer - and HOW! She paired up with Art Director Melanie Kamsler to create ManiaMania, that kind of rough, tough and mean jewelry that just goes with anything and everything. The design duo took inspiration from the 1973 cult classic 'Holy Mountain', so think lonely desserts, sultry sirens and natural stones to send chills to your bones. Raw chunks of quartz find their homes on molten bits of melten, rings twist over fingers like claws and big cuffs with a sharp curve clamp down like handcuffs. My favourite is the Immortals Necklace - a hunk of rose quarts within a twisted golden cage on a chain and leather tie. It is part glamour, part harsh edges and all organic.

I've been searching and searching for the pieces since November last year, when Harpers Bazaar's December issue featured the Immortals Necklace in all its roughly hewn glory. It reminded me of a necklace I used to have (but lost) with a bit of quartz stone hanging from a ribbon, simple, yet startlingly organic. I cut out the picture of the necklace and had been carrying it around in my wallet with me ever since.

the mania mania look book

Then yesterday, completely by happy accident, I stumbled upon them in the Corner Shop's Strand Arcade store on my break from work. There it was - sitting happily in a display cabinet, testing my powers of lenten resistance. I tried it on anyway, you know, all in the name of blog research, and it is the perfect piece - the leather sits comfortably against the back of the neck to not only provide a surface that won't be irritating for sensitive skin but also allows for the length of the piece to be adjusted. But more than this, the scope of the necklace - that beautiful piece of quarts enclosed in its gilded cage - was astounding. It hung perfectly from the chain and sat against my chest like a prize. It was captivating, and stunning, and all things lovely.

Ultimately money was the rate limiting step here. But hey, I can still appreciate beautiful things from afar! So even if this necklace isn't mine, i can hold out hope. And I'm going to keep carrying that little scrap of paper in my wallet until then.


Prices range from about $100 to $400. ManiaMania jewelry available in the Corner Shop and Zimmerman stores around Australia.

X


the immortals necklace, is it not a stunning piece of jewelry?


You have read this article australia / fashion / jewelry / necklaces / style / want with the title maniac. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/03/maniac.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...