to pack and wear



In just over a month I'll be heading overseas for a European winter and I can't wait! After this year of ups and downs, hard work and sweat and tears, I've definitely earnt a holiday. But, also, this is an end of era of sorts. When I first started planning it it was to be my end of university last hurrah before entering the real world. Back then I wasn't sure that I would be doing honours or that my time at university was not yet to be completely over. But, in a way, it is still the end. Next year is going to be so different - more work, more expectation, more results - and it might be a little while before I get a holiday again. So this trip to Europe, seeing things I've never seen before and visiting places that have only previously existed in my imagination, or on the pages of books, is more exciting than I can say. Just over a month and I'll be driving across those twisty Alps roads and drinking cocoa every chance that I can get and trying to stay very warm.

So, naturally, my mind turns immediately to packing. This trip is a road trip, train trip, bike trip kind of trip and I'm determined to go light. I say that every time I go overseas but this time - this time - I really mean it. This isn't going to be a fashion parade, this is a chance to see so much of the world, and I don't want to be weighed down by stuff when I could be unburdened by everything. This trip, more than ever before, is not one for big bags. For inspiration I've turned to Joan Didion's packing list, in turn the inspiration for the latest Dress Up collection, from The White Album, which taught me so much about writing, and reporting, and living. The list could not be more perfect for what I am trying to achieve. The bare essentials - plus cigarettes and bourbon, of course - just enough to get things done in comfort and in peace, without having to spend all night washing your clothes in the bathroom sink. At the moment my list is leaning heavily towards knitwear - I'll be taking one coat (for those who know me, narrowing them down has proven a really difficult task), two pairs of pants, two pairs of shoes, two tee shirts and two scarves. But, for some reason, I'm finding it hard to cull the sweaters. I'm at four and counting. Still, it could be worse. And, besides, having space in my suitcase will give me a bit of room to squeeze some COS and Armor-Lux and Porselli bits and pieces in on the way back.

CAPSULE WARDROBE




 






X
You have read this article benah / boots / clothes / clothing / cold / COS / holiday / isabel marant / knitwear / polyvore / travel / weather / winter with the title to pack and wear. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/11/to-pack-and-wear.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...