Heart, we will forget him!


'Heart, we will forget him!
You and I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging
I may remember him!'

Emily Dickinson.

There is something so complete about the poetry of emily dickinson. her verse is measured, and never flowery or over-elaborate. it is simple, but so perfect in its simplicity, it is a marvel that emily manages to convey so much in the few lines that she works with. sometimes poetry can become horribly convoluted, imagery and metaphor and similes piled upon each other just because they look good, and not because they are needed. Dickinson manages to produce one of my favourite poems of all time, a poem that is simply stunning in its construction and message, without only two short stanzas.

it certainly helps that she's writing about something universal here. she seems so confident that she will forget her broken heart, that she will get over the 'warmth he gave' and 'the light'. And the last two lines are just lovely, and, from my experience, so evocative of trying to get over a broken heart...


[flickr]


a thousand times love to you all! 
X



You have read this article dickinson / poetry with the title Heart, we will forget him!. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2008/11/heart-we-will-forget-him.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...