london calling

[tfs]


you know that feeling? the one where all of you feels lighter, drunk on air, as if any moment if the wind kicked in you might just up and blow away? God. that's how i feel right now. Weightless and liberated. Unburdened. Calm. The baggage of school and exams have just dropped away and suddenly i feel like i'm made of the thinnest whisp of gauzy egyptian cotton and i have no cares whatsoever in the world.

I'm free! And how marvellous it is! I can spend the day doing whatever i want, finding new blogs to frequent, whiling away blissful hours watching fashion shows at tfs or style.com, reading my favourite magazines cover to cover, snipping out gorgeous photots to paste into my various notebooks, i can even, dare i say it lest i jinx myself, write something. Because i have had an idea. Inspiration has struck... i have an idea for a novel. it's not great, and it's not clever, but at least it's an idea. and getting pen to paper is indeed the most important thing to do. Maybe that's what ill do on the hot languid days of this summer. i hate the hot weather, and can't think of anything more ghastly than having to traipse around while the sun beats down on my back. no, i'd rather sit at my desk, a glass of raspberry cordial by my side, as i peer out my window gazing onto my street. and write, of course. 

And i have so many things to look forward to! The post-HSC drinks party at my friend's tomorrow night. The post-HSC spa day my sister has booked for the two of us complete with massage and facial... just in time for my formal! ah! how lovely! dancing and dinner and delightful company the whole night. And then after that, a little trip australians call schoolies to byron bay, where school leavers lounge around for days and days in the sun doing nothing but drink and relax.  Now that should take us into december, and the little cobblestone road leading up to my birthday and christmas. And then new year, and then a january filled with lovely things, such as MY FAVOURITE BAND COMING TO AUSTRALIA. i must remember to breathe as i write this, but december and january are filled with concerts, MGMT, the howling bells, neil young and then... the arctic monkeys! i can barely contain my excitement! 

last time they came to australia alex turner dedicated a song to my friend and i. The concert was at a very small venue, this was before they had gotten really big. they could probably fill a stadium now, but that's by the by. We were seated at the front of the top level of the theatre, and were surrounded by middle-aged british backpackers who were there for the music, not the sight. They sat nursing their beers and swaying to the music. My friend and I, of course, being young(er), impressionable and INSANELY and COMPLETELY in love with alex turner we were up out of our seats, dancing crazily and with reckless abandon staring at him the whole time. They finished the set with fake tales of san francisco and left to general applause, although we were disappointed they had not played crowd favourite song i bet that you look good on the dancefloor the concert had been wonderful nonetheless. Then, to our surprise, the band come back on, grinning cheekily and alex approached the mic.

alex; thought we'd leave without a proper goodbye, do you? 
crowd; ahhhhhhH!!!!!!! *screams*
alex; we're gonna play one more, aright? and this one's for the two young ladies who've been dancing all night on the top row. 
me and my friend; OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
alex; we bet that you'd look good on the dance floor, love. 

and the song began. and my friend and i melted, then re-solidified so we could go crazy dancing again. All the british backpackers around us were chuckling, congratulating us and giving us the eyes. Alex sang the whole song staring at us. Or at least, the top row, i mean, it's very hard to ascertain exactly where a man's eyes are when you're that far away. But regardless, we got an amazing song dedicated to us, and the admiration of a few british people (monkeys or otherwise). Such a story to tell the kids at school the next day. So although Alex may be going out with Alexa LongLegs Chung, we have a connection. He'll realise that soon enough.

And then after my january of musical bliss begins my (late jan) february (and early march) of travelling ecstasy. My gap month and a half begins with a trip to the relatives in Hong Kong, as i haven't seen my grandparents in such an awfully long time now, and i'll get to spend chinese new year with them, which means great food and even greater company. I love seeing them, because it really reinforces the beauty of non-verbal communication. I don't speak a word of chinese thanks to my father's stubborn refusal to teach us (i'm australian he would insist every time my mother suggested it) and they don't speak a word of english. So whenever i stay with them it's all non-verbal... you invest extra meaning into a hug because you can't say exactly what you want to say, a smile means so much, gestures can be of so much significance. It's very humbling.

After Hong Kong i travel to beautiful Paris, city of my dreams. My trivial excuse is that i ought to put all this schoolgirl french to use, although of course the real reason is paris itself. The last time i was there the coolest thing about it for me was EuroDisney, so i'm looking forward to acquainting myself with the fabulous shops i've heard so much about, the engaging and intriguing history i've read so much about, the atmosphere that i can feel myself longing for as i scour pictures on the internet. It's my romantic view of paris of course, that it is a city of artists, filled with creative spirit and passion and fervor. But even if it is an illusion, i'm looking forward to experiencing Paris, my paris, all the same. History, art, culture and of course, clothes, in the day, the underbelly and it's fascinating dark side at night. Sampling french chic is a must, i can't wait to see Collette, Flea markets and Avenue Montaigne in person... i'm already planning my wardrobe! 

From Paris i go to London and England, where'll i'll be able to show people around, instead of the other way, for once. I lived there for a year when i was 14, and how i miss it! London is a city that is really alive, you can almost taste the blood that courses through its veins. Just as Paris for me is just teeming with creativity, London is artistic in its own way, a sort of rampant and raw talent channelled into music, art, fashion, design...  Look to Paris for Chic, and look to London for cool. Pure, unadulterated hipness. I am so looking forward to showing my friend all my favourite shops and haunts. Stocking up on lovely topshop goodies,  wiling away hours in Dover Street Market molesting the Lanvin and Comme Des Garcons and trying on clothes we can't even afford to think about, let alone actually afford to buy. We'll be scouring Brick Lane for vintage, thrifiting our hearts out and  And harvey nichols for the shoes!

After London i have another week to spend in england, where i'll probably visit my friends in cambridge and bath. I always love going to bath to see my aunt's best friend because she has the most amazing house. When i go i will take pictures for you all. It's in one of those amazing georgian townhouses that Austen always wrote about (probably why i like it so much, come to think of it), with the sandstone facade and big french windows. It's so classic, and so inspiring. Bath is such a lovely town as well, the history is just so fascinating and of course, the real deal clincher with me, it's filled with cute little tea houses serving scones and earl grey with dazzling efficiency. 

And then, can you believe it, i'm going to New york for 4 days. This is incredible. My tickets are frequent flyers (the only way i can afford to travel in this time of recession) and my aunt is a flight attendant, so she can tweak the system a little. The only flight home to Sydney went via New York, and whats the point of just stopping over for an hour in the most intriguing city in the world? I'm going to stay with my darling friend, who i met on exchange, and who i love with all my heart, and we're going to have subway adventures, i'm going to visit all her friends at her posh gossip girl school, spend an awfully long time in the impressionist wing of the met, oh the beauty of monet! and then over to the frick for a little turner and whistler. Barneys and Bergdorf, and of course, at 8 in the morning, coffee and danish in hand, a trip to Tiffany and Co to glance whistfully at the diamonds. Although, Holly is quite right, diamonds on anyone under 40 is horribly tacky. :D

Finally home, back to average life in sydney and the heat... beginning the next chapter of my life with university. Hopefully i get the marks required for my course Advanced Arts, otherwise, i'll settle for Arts. Come March, back to the terrifying world of deadlines, exams, classes, assessments..

But i don't want to think about that, right now i'm free!
And i've never felt better.
 Much love to all of you, and i apologise for this waffly post all about me. How boring for you all! I just wanted to get it off my chest. tomorrow a return to the chic-er things in life, i promise.
 X





[flickr]

EDIT; OBAMA! I am so incredibly excited for americans right now!
You have read this article dreams / future / me / travel with the title london calling. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2008/11/london-calling.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...