The coat of dreams.

Mmmm on Wednesday i went window shopping in the city whilst waiting for my mum to finish her doctor's appointment. Seeing as how the surgery was in the midst of martin place, where else would i be shopping other than chanel, prada, belinda and evelyn miles? 

It was a weird day because, to begin with, no-one questioned my place in the store. Usually when i go into stores like that i get looks because i'm either a) young, b) not rich enough, c) not looking to buy (which is not always strictly true) or d) all of the above. But on Wednesday i wasn't even given a single look, the whole time i was treated like royalty. The lady in Chanel even let me stroke the lambskin of the 2.55 and let me try it on, placing my huge oversize wallet inside to see if it fit (it did!). Unfortunately the trip to chanel had the by-product of me finding out that due to the economic crisis chanel has had to up their prices. the Jumbo 2.55 is no longer 3 and a half grand, but 4 and a half grand... guess the recession has his the luxury market hard. Guess that particular dream won't be happening for very long.

The real joy was in Belinda though. To my excitement and eager fashion crazed girl amusement they are now stocking Givenchy, Lanvin and Balenciaga. I went around the store with these huge saucer eyes, touching up the Dries Van Noten stuff for you, Brigadeiro, fondly looking at those strappy sandals that you have. (they are lovely!) then onto stella mccartney, where they had lily allen's poncho, and i had a little chuckle to myself. It was beautiful, and so soft! I tried it on and it felt like heaven against the skin.

The funniest thing of all though, was seeing items i had used in polyvore sets in real life. ALl of the lanvin shirts and jackets that i constantly use, as well as marni dresses and necklaces were there, and it was bewildering and very odd to see them IRL, mostly because they looked so very different. This happened with a particular philip lim skirt that i was obsessed with for ages. I saw it in the corner shop in real life and it was nothing like what i thought it was on the internet, and though still beautiful, not me at all. It was actually quite a release to realise that too. I felt released from the shackles of the skirt, although in the corner shop i found a jumper and a jacket by philip lim that i loved to replace it instead. 

Anyway, back on task. After feeling up Givenchy, Marc and Balenciaga i came to the corner of the MLC centre store, where tucked up in the very back of the rack next to a boring taffeta stella mccartney skirt there was a coat. THE coat. the coat of my dreams.

Roksanda Ilincic, who, although needs to work on finish, is so creative. Navy blue Wool, Grey Llama and teal satin. A size 8, which was oddly reaffirming in a way, i was so surprised i could fit into it. A boxy style, very 1950s, with deep pockets and 3 quarter length sleeves. Felt like i was wearing something so light, even though it was 100% wool. 

I can't even express to you the joy and absolute wonder of wearing this coat. I had used it in polyvore countless times, and so knew i had to try it on. And when i did i felt transformed!  My outfit suddenly became infinitely more chic, i stood up a little straighter, my hair became a little more glossy. The shop assistants were all cooing about how artsy and creative it was, and although i know it's their job, it certainly made me feel very elegant. I felt like some fabulous londoner swanning off to an art gallery opening before a night of elegant debauchery at a cool club. In reality i was off to the bank to set up an account and then onto chambers to visit my godmother. Boring stuff indeed. 

At exactly $2995 the coat was a no deal. In fact, it hurt even trying it on, knowing that it looked so perfect, and so amazing, and i would never own it. Even 50% off it would be way too expensive. There was nothing to be done, after getting the obliging sales assistant to write down the code and price on a card, and after her soft urging to buy because it was the only one in any belinda store, and quite possibly the whole country, i left temptation behind. Just being in the shop was too much, especially knowing that it would never be mine.

So, all sydney-siders with a spare 3 grand lying around and a passion for fashion and all things beautifully crafted, chic and just all around wonderful, get ye to Belinda in the MLC centre, and purchase this amazing item of clothing. It will change your life, just trying it on brightened my day. I want it to go to a good home. 

If only it could be me!
X




[net-a-porter, style.com]


You have read this article fashion / me / shopping / style with the title The coat of dreams.. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2008/11/the-coat-of-dreams.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...