shopping lobotomy

Remember that scene in sex and the city, 'an american girl in paris part une' where carrie slips on the water and trips in dior? And she has to conduct a 'shopping equivalent of a lobotomy' by buying up big? Well, i think i had an incident like that yesterday. Although, not being carrie, despite my best attempts and delusions otherwise, i did not 'buy big' i just bought something which, as you will see, was a big deal in this particular shop and for me.

I-Spy, it's a Belinda store that has just opened in westfield bondi junction, although it's not technically running under the 'belinda' label, which of course had me fooled. It had a funky looking window display, beautiful sales assistants, and a big fat sign saying 'SALE' on the window... and right underneath it: vanessa bruno.  how could i resist? that four letter word gets me every time. SALE. 

anyway i wandered in, and it was filled with beautiful, beautiful, clothes. most of them i had seen before in belinda stores, but these were heavily marked down. still at too high prices, but nevertheless, just gorgeous too look at. there was an absolutely heavenly donna karan wrap in rich raspberry, a fabulous marc jacobs dress with huge buttons on the bodice and divine vanessa bruno separates, winter coats, and shirts that felt paper thin, as if they had been made of tissue paper. Glancing at the prices i had a sharp intake of breath, and moved along. I am supposed to be saving to go overseas after all. 

And then i saw the Marni rack. Oh God. Marni. The label that truly sums up the quirky chic girl, boxy cuts, stunning patterns, bright colours, off trend but in fashion always. I love marni, and have always ALWAYS wanted something from there, but combinations of not being able to afford, and not being able to fit into, their items found in australia have prevented me to do so. But here was a rack of marni, gorgeous dresses in bold colours slashed to about $400-500, gauzy shirts, and tons and tons of skirts at prices i could, with a stretch, afford. But i sighed. No. You. Are. Going. Away. You must not spend money... But then my hand brushed against a beautiful red skirt, thick knit, tulip cut, in a deep burgundy colour. I'm a sucker for a good red. Red Wine, Red Shoes, Red candy... 

And it was $200. 

What? 

and.... What? 

So, in a shocked daze i took it into the change rooms, and slipped it on. There's no way it would fit. it's a sample size. I would try it on, it wouldn't fit, and i would put it back onto the rack. no harm done. 

Oh but it did fit! and it looked good! really good. In that way that only well made, well designed, well fashioned clothes do. When they just sit right on your body, when they cling in the right places and skim over the others, when they are shapely but not skin-tight, when they are loose but not baggy, when they feel like a dream against your skin. That was this skirt! 

But i couldn't buy it... I physically had the money, but i shouldn't spend it. I wanted the skirt, but i have loads of skirts. and i mean LOADS. they're my staple wardrobe item, and i wear the same tops over and over again just rotating the skirts. So i suppose pro's, i would wear it lots. Con's... that's $200 i wouldn't have to spend in lovely london, or perfect paris. So i decided to put it back on the rack, like a good girl, and just use the money to buy something as equally as fabulous overseas, which is just as good, if not better.

But then my watch caught on the curtain of the change room as i was leaving. 

And then i was on the floor.

And then, to add insult to serious injury i bought the curtain down with me. 

Oh shame of shames. Oh horror of horrors. I was mortified. THere i was, spread out on the floor, rich, deep velvet curtain covering half my body, thankfully the shamefully embarassed red face, while people rushed to see the commotion. When i finally brought myself to show my face, 3 (count 'em!) sales assistants, were crowded around me, asking if i was alright, and then looking at the skirt, and asking if i wanted to take it. In a moment of sheer desperation to get them to stop looking at clumsy old me, i nodded mutely, handed the skirt over, and reached for my cash. 

Pictures of the skirt to come soon, suffice to say, i do love it, and it shall be getting a lot of wear, and because it is knit i suppose it is a good investment buy for overseas. But it was just a terrible thing, i hate hate hate being embarrassed, god who doesn't? and i felt terrible the whole day. And i really should not have spent that money. really. 

Needless to say. I will never be going to I-Spy again. 
Ever.

Well, maybe not until next sales. 

They'll have forgotten by then, right? 




X
You have read this article fashion / me / shopping / style with the title shopping lobotomy. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2008/12/shopping-lobotomy.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...