10 things about my style - 3. long tales

If you ask anyone, and i mean anyone, to sum up my style in 1 word it would be long. Hemlines, that is. With flagrant disregard for any trends and hip happenings of the time my skirts and trousers are long, nary a mini, cut-off or thigh grazing dress in sight. 

Why is this? Firstly, self preservation. I've never been one to flash the goods, even when i have them, and believe you me my legs are nothing to sing praises from the mountain top about. But then, it's not really all about hiding my legs because, in the grand scheme of thins they're not that bad. They're just not long, lovely, slender things like friend's of mine have.


my favourite long skirt, vintage checked number with cos drapey tee and studded belt from camden markets, best accesory ever which i LOST inexplicably when i was out one night, and no, nothing sinister it just fell off... grrrrrr. 


No, it's more about the length itself. I love the length not because it hides or it covers, but because i genuinely adore the long silhouette. Short can be just gorgeous on some people, i envy my 60s inclined friend for her mod mini dresses and bare-legged fresh-ness. But on me i cannot go past the glamour of a long skirt, whether in full-skirted, drapey evening form or in structured and lean day form. I love how long skirts conjure up these images of a bygone era, complete with big diamonds and champagne glasses.

I just love the way that a long skirt feels against your skin, like how a coat can feel against your body, the way that it cocoons your in fabric and promises night of swishy dancing and demurely crossed legs. I like the way that long skirts are so easily adaptable to different styles, a mini will really only ever be a mini, but the long skin can be a myriad of different things - full, structured, drapey, assymetrical, bias cut, grecian... the list goes on. 

There is also a definite sexual element to the long skirt too. You get the merest hint of a leg beneath it, a teaser, if you will, for what is inevitably to come. It's like seeing things through a glass, darkly, you can see shape and form but not the actual thing. Don't you find that poetic and refreshing in our culture of 'sex sells' and flash as much skin as humanly possible? I mean, denim underwear may be all the rage (you laugh, but the other night at my local there was a girl wearing what can only be described as a denim g-string, it is winter here in australia by the way), but isn't it a little crass to put everything on the table? Isn't there something more mysterious, more promising about keeping some things hidden?

bassike tee, sportsgirl jumper, elke kramer necklace, josh goot skirt, kazui sandals.

X


You have read this article clothes / fashion / future / inspiration / me / style with the title 10 things about my style - 3. long tales. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2009/08/10-things-about-my-style-3-long-tales.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...