10 things about my style - #7 think ahead, fred


flickr

When it comes to clothes, I am useless with forward planning. absolutely useless. Give me a week's notice, a month's notice, and i'll still be planning my outfit 5 minutes before i'm supposed to arrive. I'm the girl who didn't actually have her formal dress until the day of the actual formal, the girl who bought the shoes for her 18th birthday party while she was out getting some extra cheese to put in the risotto.

In every other aspect of my life I am an organised perfectionist, i never leave assignments to the last minute, i'm always trying to keep up to dates with notes and study, when i'm throwing a dinner party the menu is the first thing to be decided on and the food is always prepared with plenty of time to spare. Leaving me with plenty of time to run around the house like a headless chicken trying to find something decent to wear. I do try and plan outfits ahead in my head, but most of the time I change my mind so quickly about them that it's a pointless exercise. I'll always change at least 5 times before I go out, i'm never settled, and when i'm not settled i'm not comfortable... and then i have a terrible time.

I do find, though, that because I'm always rushing to get ready this can breed some of my most effortless, creative outfits. Because I'm not laying everything out on my bed 2 nights before (actually, sometimes i do do that, but then I change my mind anyway), at the last minute i can have a shot of inspiration and throw something together that just works, and only really does so because I was rushing, not thinking too hard, and desperate not to be late. the other day I was so incredibly late for work it was shocking, and so after flinging everything out of my closet and putting it all back again, I settled on my josh goot tye dye skirt, a brown tunic topic belted in and my sleeveless coat. It was shades of monotone for a shades of monotone kind of day, and it all worked. It took me about an hour to get there, and with 8 or 9 different outfits by the wayside. But i made it.

Perhaps it is because i'm restless that this happens. I can't settle my mind on anything, and I change it constantly. Thinking ahead seems silly therefore, when one day I'll be all over my sleeveless coat and the next i'll be back in my trench. When one day all i want to wear is jeans and trousers, and the next i remember how great long skirts are and I'm back in the fold. I think most girls are like this, even within their capsule wardrobe there will be tendencies to favour one thing over the other, and then change it around every now and again. Thinking ahead for me always means that I set things aside that i'm loving now, or saying to myself that i HAVE to wear the christopher kane eyelet sweatshirt because it's the best damn thing i own, and then waking up on the day and realising - it's too hot for that jacket, i'm bored with that shirt, i can't be bothered wearing something tricky like layered skirts, belts, crop tops, jumpers.

Those are the kind of days when, at the very last minute before I'm well beyond fashionably late, I find something simple and easy, throw it on, and everything seems right with the world. This doesn't always happen, mind, sometimes in desperation i throw things on and head out the door only to realise that it's all wrong and i look silly. The latter happens more often than the former.

If only I could work out some sort of system to make it all so much easier. But the system would ultimately be defeated by my flighty nature and inability to commit. Hmm... am i still talking about clothes here? ha.

X
You have read this article clothes / clothing / fashion / inspiration / me / style / wardrobe with the title 10 things about my style - #7 think ahead, fred. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2009/10/10-things-about-my-style-7-think-ahead.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...