a little bit


Spending time in layovers waiting for trains and planes and trains to planes inevitably means reading a lot of magazines and books. In my case, after reading a truly dreadful (penny dreadful, perhaps) spy novel mostly magazines. And the march issues seem to be saying one thing. Goodbye monochrome, murky tonal shades and the like, hello colour. Its not surprising really - colours for spring, how groundbreaking, to paraphrase icy meryl streep in the devil wears prada. But still, it bears thinking. After being truly devoted to camel, oatmeal, khaki and charcoal for so long now, can I go back to colour? Should I even? Should I bend to trends or just keep on plodding along in a style that I have cultivated and understood and made my own, safe in the knowledge that eventually fashion's fickle pendulum will swing all the way back - only to depart again a couple of season's later. I am a firm believer that we shouldn't be a slave to trends, a belief that I cultivated only after being a slave to them for so long. Just because minimalism is on the way out - or is it? more on that later - doesn't mean that we have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe. That would go against the precepts of minimalism in the first place, and if you're going to behave like that, then you really don't deserve to own CĂ©line, whatever your credit card statements say in the opposite. 

I think that, as with anything fashion related, there is a way to make this new season desire for colour work for you. I used to be all about the colour, I was in love with this Richard Nicoll teal shirtdress and sherbert orange mad cortes overshirt ensemble that was very Marni-esque and Italian and attention grabbing. The more I think about colour, the more I realise I want to wear it again. But this time, not with the bright red shoes or the checked skirt I used to pair it with. But instead with a plain black skirt, tan sandles, and a black bag. A flash of colour is all you need. That's what I thought when I saw this picture. Being a slave to internet cafes since my laptop broke and being in a different country, I haven't been completely up to date with blogs and the such. This picture taken by Garance last week wonderfully illustrates my new season colour mantra. No, I'm not going to throw away all my beautiful caramel toffee coloured sweaters (in fact, quite the opposite, I just bought one from COS haha), instead, I'm going to work colour into my outfits in simple, small, exciting ways. A flash of tangerine lipstick. A hint of neon on a sweater. The rich jewel tone of a watch band. The shining leather of a non neutral coloured bag. This is what I love about Garance. Although I like this outfit, it's not quite something I would wear. The skirt is too short - no matter what I do I can't quite embrace shorter lengths - and the jacket too, well, brown. But I really like this outfit. Maybe with a khaki flak, and a longer skirt, and... there you have it. Garance is inspiration distilled. Now, where did I put that orange lipstick.

X

ps. im in venice and loving it! it is so beautiful. tomorrow im going to london and will be there until I leave, if anyone wants to meet up for tea or coffee or fashion week macarons, just email me hryee1@hotmail.com, i'd love to meet up! X
You have read this article colour / garance dore / pictures / street-style with the title a little bit. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/02/a-little-bit.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...