true romantic



I used to be a big Olivier Theyskens fan. Okay, let's not kid here. The biggest. On my post-end of school pilgrimage to Europe I went to every single Nina Ricci store in Paris. And was given the biggest death stares because of my doc martens and generally grubby 17 year old appearance. But I never thought I could actually wear any of his stuff. It was floaty and ethereal and fantastical and from the dark and twisted imagination of a true designer. They were to be admired afar, as wedding dresses or something to wear to the Crillon debutante ball - because of course, yes, I was going to be invited, of course! Which is why I literally cannot believe how, well, wearable the stuff from Theyskens' Theory is. Little cinched in motorcycle jackets perfect for throwing over a gauzy, sheer party dress, navy blue tee shirts with the peplum, an array of perfect white shirts that button up all the way to the collar for a fashion take on work wear. Who would have thought that underneath the ex-Rochas and Nina Ricci designer (reputedly fired for not designer clothes that were wearable hmm hmm), was someone who could make clothes that women not only wanted  to wear but actually conceivably could.

This outfit with the long coat? Perfect. It is actually perfect. I would wear this. I want to wear this. I want a coat with an inverted, starched down collar like this that creates that funny little geometric line. I want it in an Amish-style calico that could have come straight from mill. I want to wear it with a floor length dress with a Calvin Klein style simple shift silhouette and nipped in waist in a country-hick flannel. I want to chop my hair so that it has blunt ends and wear it in a middle part and tuck it behind my ears. This is so good. I can't even believe how good it is. Swap those heels for some strappy flats and I'd be out the door. There's a hint of the Edwardian - this look ain't sexy - and lashings of 90s grunge via The Row. These were 'real-word clothes', though, to borrow style.com's phrase. I think a better term would be perfect world - I won't get to have these clothes in the real world. But I'll cobble something together out of my real-world clothes and hopefully capture just a little bit of that Theyskens romantic magic.

X
You have read this article fashion / fashion shows / fashion week / garance dore / new york fashion week / olivier theyskens / photos / pictures with the title true romantic. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/02/true-romantic.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...