Lauren Moffatt NYFW

















I was never a naughty schoolgirl. Not once. Well, maybe once. But, really, I was a bit of a nerd, with a backpack bigger than my torso and a heap of books that I carted around and a blazer pocket filled with pens. But I've always kind of harboured these vague fantasies of being a bit of a naughty school girl, knee socks and all, writing lines or being sent to read in the corner as punishment. I always kind of wanted to be Lindsay Lohan in Freaky Friday, you know, how she's so well acquainted with the detention master that she swaps sandwiches with her and gets to share cute over-the-shoulder glances with Chad Michael Murray. The one time I was in detention I mostly just stared out the window. I'm sure if, aged 15 or 16, if I had a wardrobe of a-line skirts in mustard yellow or all-american-red-white-and-blue and stripey boatneck sweaters I would have been a little cheekier. As Lauren Moffatt's show notes explained, girls who wear peter-pan collars and knee socks are Sugar and Spice - all at the same time. When they are good they are very, very good, but when they are bad they are horrid.

I loved this collection. I loved how youthful and fresh it was. I loved the way it was presented, with the models sitting at desks idling twirling their 2B pencils and doodling in their notebooks. Of course, being me, my favourite pieces were the coats which hang from the mantlepiece - especially that gorgeous colour-blocked number with a fur hood. But the polka-dot midi skirts and the ankle boot with socks and the little silk crop tops were so cute and reminded me a lot of how some of my friends dress. It was sweet without being saccharine, which is kind of the standard way of describing something that Alexa Chung might wear, but seriously, there is an art to making something fresh without it being oppressive. Last season there was a lot of sickly sweet sugar on the runways (and were starting to see it seep onto the magazine covers now, hello Alexa and Lana!). But you can always count on winter to add a little spice to the mix.

The best thing about the show? The clothes were accessorised with beautiful BRVTVS jewellery. You all know how much I love Caroline's designs, and they looked so fantastic with the clothes (see pictures 7 and 13 above for detail shots of some BRVTVS bracelets, including the Claudia bracelet which I love so much!). Caroline is such a multi-tasker, she even appeared IN the show itself as a model. It must have felt like going back to school again - which I definitely don't want to do in a matter of weeks when uni starts again. Maybe this year I'll be naughty...

X

ps. New York shows are so well produced! I mean, come on. This was in a school and everything. And the invitation was a "Hall Pass" (oh, all my New York dreams are coming true!)
You have read this article alexa chung / bracelets / clothes / clothing / coats / jewelry / New York / new york fashion week / photos / pictures / want with the title Lauren Moffatt NYFW. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/02/lauren-moffatt-nyfw.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...