egg



This meal was so simple but it was probably one of the best that I've had so far in New York. I went with Siri, who is not only a stellar stylist and a super cool lady but also a lovely dining companion who gives great food recommendations - if you are lucky enough to go with her to 5 leaves you might share a grilled Octopus, artichoke and blood orange salad and a rose water pavlova and it will be glorious. We met up one brisk Williamsburg morning at Egg, another kinfolk recommendation (I am seriously obsessed with Kinfolk though, as Rachel will attest, when she found an issue at a bookshop and brought it over to show me I actually squealed out loud). There were crayons on the table and "biscuits" on the menu which, fellow Australians, does not mean that you could get cookies for breakfast. Biscuits are some kind of savoury scone thing. Americans.

I am always drawn to places like this - refreshingly, deceptively, deliciously simple, where you can take your time over a plate of something nice, sipping at tea and talking about everything and nothing and enjoying being in a place with a big plate glass door and high white walls and pale wooden chairs that looked like they had been plucked from an Ikea catalogue. My meal of caramelised grapefruit and scrambled eggs with chutney and a real potato hash was next level good; the bite of sugary grapefruit and mint versus a rumpled, unmade bed of scrambled eggs that Bill himself would be proud of. It didn't pretend to be anything that it wasn't, which is how I'd like people to describe me, which is how I like my food. I didn't want to leave, but unfortunately pressing shopping duties at Catbird called, and so on we went. Just like with the Rose Bakery, I found myself wishing I knew the equivalent in Sydney so I could go all the time, and try everything on the menu, just once.

But why are you listening to me. My opinion doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. You know what the clearest indication of egg's brilliance is? Even on a thursday, a boring old thursday, there was a waiting list to get a table.
X
You have read this article blogging / breakfast / food / friends / holiday / me / New York / photos / pictures / travel with the title egg. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/02/egg.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...