shearling beloved


 
Oh GOD I just love shearling so much. I love to wear my little Carly Hunter shearling vest, I love to layer it under coats and over jackets, I love to wear it on its own and just surreptitiously rub my belly during class, comforted by its soft folds. And you know what the best thing is? Shearling has actually become a classic. Once a fickle trend, now a wardrobe staple. Don't you love it when that happens? When something so simple yet so wonderful traverses that tricky canyon between a one-season-wonder and true wardrobe-staying power, which shearling has done with marvelous aplomb and, it must be said, warmth. There's nothing better to brave that icy, bone-chilling New York chill - enough to make even me, a cold-weather-phile, break down into tears of despair - than a little shearling something. A burnt ochre suede and shearling coat perhaps, or even a full blown black number with fuzzy sleeves and a boxy cut. All fashion week I've been keeping my eye out for shearling with the vague intentions of putting a post together of my favourite looks, but Tommy just shoots so much better than anyone else I can't help but use his pictures. These were some of my favourite shearling moments, but another was Candice's amazing shearling-lined coat, which kept her snug and warm with only the briefest glimpse of shearling poking out. 

One of the interesting things about shearling is how both a little and a lot create a lasting impression. I love to wear my vest in all its drapey, oversized glory over sweaters and with big scarves, but I equally enjoy just the hint of it underneath another jacket. The third picture above is a perfect example of this - she's only got a tiny little shearling collar, barely even that, a little shearling puff - but it makes such a huge impact. It has me dreaming again of that shearling coat from Carly Hunter's new winter collection which Talisa and I previewed way back in October or something. I've seen a lot of those coats on the streets of New York - wool sleeves and a shearling body or vice versa - and they are so incredible in real life. With a pair of straight-leg jeans, an oatmeal-coloured tee shirt and a pair of anklets there could be no more perfect outfit. I might have to have another look at that coat when it drops in-store at The Corner Shop. Until then, I'll be satisfied with my little vest and playing with ways to layer it. Let's hear it for shearling!

X

ps. don't you just love stevie's hat? I still love hats, and there's good news on that front. All I can say now is thank god for New York.
You have read this article clothes / clothing / coats / fashion / fashion week / hats / New York / new york fashion week / shearling / street style / street-style / stylists / tommy ton / want with the title shearling beloved. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/02/shearling-beloved.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...