Sydney, I love you


one and two. the hedonist's guide to sydney. three and four. Room 10 exterior and that famous muesli. five.  bourke st bakery always has the best pastries. Peach and Raspberry galette? why not? six. I love bloodorange's beautiful sign. Pastabilities packaging. seven. my garden. my favourite place in the whole world. 



"Sydney is a shameless flirt," reads the first sentence of the newly released Hedonist's guide to Sydney. Well, I'm sad to say, I've been shamelessly flirting with some other cities this past month, flitting through Hong Kong and New York to see what it's all about. It's funny, you always appreciate home so much more when you've been away. And when you come back to find a guide book to your home town all wrapped up - all the way from London thanks to Marilyn at Hg2 - and sitting on your desk, it seems like there's no better time to rekindle that love affair with Sydney. It's funny looking at your city from a tourist's point of view, but then the hg2 guides are not really for your average tourists. All the recommendations feel like ones you could have received from the best of friends - the ones with wanderlust and great taste and that like all the same things that you do. There's a strong focus on eating and drinking (this is a hedonist's guide, after all!) with sections divided by activity "eat", "sleep", "snack", "shop" and colour-coded by region. I was so happy to see some of my favourites, like the Flinders' Duke Bistro, Miss Chus, Din Tai Fung and Toby's Estate pop up on the lists. It was also exciting to see a couple of places that I've been dying to visit pop up - like Burnt Orange in Mosman and Flying Fish - which only cemented my desire to go. I took the New York guide with me on my holiday and it was such a good decision. Along with all the helpful tips from friends, family and you guys I made a grand old list of thing to do and see and, let's be honest, most importantly - eat. I had such a wonderful, wonderful time (and I've got plenty more posts to come, don't worry!).

My only problem? The shopping picks... I always look forward to shopping sections and this one was so slim! And the information was a little bit out-dated, some of the brands listed are not stocked at stores anymore, and there were some major favourite stores left out, like the amazing Lands End in five ways. But they still had a great selection, including the fantastic bloodorange - the dictionary definition of small but perfectly formed - and, of course, that purveyor of isabel and phillip lim and all things good; The Corner Shop. I can't wait to see the second version with an updated shopping section.

So today, in honour of this fun guide, I decided to enjoy a day out and about in my beautiful city. I had a leisurely breakfast at Room 10 with Talisa - the fig granola, of course! - and then wandered around one of Sydney's most beautiful areas, Potts Point, visiting the new Bourke St Bakery outpost there, and then onto bloodorange, naturally, and then I grabbed some pastablities ravioli for dinner with my family tonight and then I sat in my garden for a little and did some boring computer admin stuff. I love my garden. It's the best thing ever. And you know, I love sydney too. Hopefully with a little help from this guide I'm going to venture to some new places in sydney this year..

X
You have read this article apartment / australia / breakfast / food / home / houses / paddington / shopping / sydney / travel with the title Sydney, I love you. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/02/sydney-i-love-you.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...