cinematic style - Johnny Depp in Chocolat



Stevie does a pretty great series of posts like this - where she takes the wardrobe of a character or characters from the movies and shares what's great about it. I've been thinking of starting one for a little while, and a recent re-viewing of Chocolat reminded me just how great that film is. The provincial french life, Vianne's red suede heels, that incredible spanish-influenced soundtrack! I studied this film as a related text in year 12 English, but the first time I saw it was as a shiny-haired 10 year old with my best friend and her mum. What I remember most about the aftermath was how much we both wanted to each chocolate - we ended up dragging her mum into the corner store to buy us Kinder Surprises - and I have loved this ever since. My mum has a friend who is like Vianne. A veritable free spirit, she wears 1950s-esque clothes and dyes her hair and is one of the most creative and enterprising people I know. A joy to be around. 

Vianne's wardrobe is pretty lovely - shawls and full skirts and cropped cardigans and all of that good stuff. But it's Roux's wardrobe that I wanted to remark on. It's Johnny Depp at his best - tall and tanned and quite, quite lovely - with that Irish brogue and that beaten up leather jacket and the sailor's-neck sweaters with holes in their collars. I love how he wears a lot of blue and burgundy in this film - blue on blue, burgundy on burgundy. My favourite look is the blue sweater with the blue cords. Delicious. It's the wardrobe of a guy who goes where the wind takes him, the OG "river rat", someone who will roll up his sleeves and say "I can fix that" with a smile. He wears braces like no-one else and doesn't mind a bit of man jewellery and there's not a cuban heel in sight. You can't tie him down. He'll go away with his worn-in jacket on his shoulders when the time seems right and there'll be nothing you can do about it. But, if you're lucky, he'll come back with a smile on his face and his shirt un-buttoned and you'll give him his favourite - a cup of hot chocolate.

X
You have read this article clothes / clothing / costume / fame / films / france / menswear / movies / style with the title cinematic style - Johnny Depp in Chocolat. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/03/cinematic-style-johnny-depp-in-chocolat.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...