true grit





I feel like I say this every time I see a new TOME collection, but it's true. This is so good. And if my effusions have become meaningless due to their sheer size and quantity then so be it. But it's true, it really is. I think I might like this collection best of all. It reminds me of something that Mattie from True Grit might wear - once she grows up a bit and takes out those stern plaited pigtails (now there's a cinematic style waiting to be written). Thick belts, wide trousers, flared coats cut short at the back, the perfect fedora... These are things that you wear back on the ranch - something Dree Hemingway might be seen in on her own private idaho - while you slow-roast meat on a fire or cross-stitch a little somethin' somethin' in your log cabin. Then you pop on those satin trousers and that sheer blouse for when you're invited to the Governor's ball and, darn, you haven't got a stitch to wear. It's a way of dressing for winter that is so peculiarly American, equal parts Jo March (wouldn't she look great in that scarlet gown with the plisse pleating?) and Jennifer Lawrence, perfect for girls with feline looks and long, long hair (your one beauty!) and sturdy lace up boots. It's all of that -  ice-skating on frozen rivers and plaid and drinking out of jam jars - only modernised, which makes it so, so much better, because, in my world at least, there's a place for things like wide leather belts and shearling collars and low ponytails and burgundy stripe tunics (there's always a place for stripes!), even if you're not back on the ranch but you're just back at home, reading Evelyn Waugh and eating ricotta and honey on toast. I can't wait to see what My Chameleon pick up from this collection.

X
You have read this article clothes / fashion week / films / look books / movies / my chameleon / new york fashion week / tome / want / winter with the title true grit. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2013/02/true-grit.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...