first we take manhattan....


Doing my regular rounds of the travel websites, hopelessly dreaming and planning future trips. I saw something that made me jump out of my chair with excitement - return flights from sydney to new york for $900. Jesus. Can't you remember the days when $900 could barely get you to New Zealand, let along anywhere North of the Equator? I can't believe that flights are this cheap to such and incredible place. 

It makes me think of the 2 glorious times i've been to New York, and how much fun i had. I was an exchange student and i spent one whole month immersed in new york city life with the girl who has become one of my best friends, and we had the best time - exploring side alleys and little known neighbourhoods, scoping out the best bagels in brooklyn, thrifting like it was an olympic sport, late night jaunts to soho rooftops and chelsea warehouses, hours spent in art galleries and truly believing in what we were seeing, having lunch on the steps of the met (yes, she goes to an upper east side private school, this was before gossip girl anyway)... It was so perfect, and i fell in love with the city 

The second time i went to New York was a little different. I was older, things had changed, i wanted different things out of the city. I wanted a whole day spent trawling through Barneys, I wanted art house movies after high tea and macaroons but before late night burgers. It was New York seen by night, trendy hipster eateries before theatre shows, seedy parties, and chilly nights that meant you were drawing coats up around your face and burrowing your hands deep into pockets just to maintain a semblance of hot-blooded-ness. 

I have a million memories, and I know i'm going to make a million more. I love London for fun, Paris for culture, Hong Kong for heat... but New York is for life. I've never been in a city that is so teeming with life like New York. It's so vibrant! I want to make a million more memories that are so colourful, so saturated like the photographs I have of that city, like the postcards I sent back to all my friends. 

$900 tickets? I want to go! NOW!

long fringes, old school photobooths, too much fun.

'start spreadin' the news... i'm leavin' today.'

X

You have read this article dreams / future / me / New York / travel with the title first we take manhattan..... You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2009/09/first-we-take-manhattan.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...