Winter wardrobe planning 2012 - update


MNZ (now removed) // my picture // Peony and I on day 1 of New York Fashion Week (photo: Pete Navey on Peony's blog)


1. Oversized Navy Blue double-breasted pea coat
 2. Isabel Marant Dicker Boots
3.  Celine Sunglasses
4. Oversized colour-blocked and two-tone sweaters
 5. Navy blue printed midi skirt - no, not yet. Kind of think maybe I don't actually want this? I think I actually need/wear more pants nowadays. Other than my basic black midi skirt I haven't worn a skirt in ages now. How are the mighty fallen!

 So what I predicted way back in January happened. I picked up almost everything on my list in New York. I got the Celine sunglases - the exact style I wanted!! - in the loveliest shade of washed out green acetate, I got the Thursday Sunday two-tone sweater, with all of its beautiful winter tones and cosy goodness and feeding my obsession with all things neutral-blocking this season, and yes, I picked up the Isabel Marant Dicker boots, which need no qualification or introduction and are, quite simply, so perfect. And oh yeah, in New York after some frantic, heart-pumping searching from Soho to Fort Greene I managed to get my hands on what very may well have been the last Isabel Marant Azuli coat in the tri-state area.*

Isn't it fantastic? It's not cold enough to pop it on in Sydney yet, but I wore it almost every day in New York, as you can see above in what will be one of the only full length outfit pictures you're ever going to get. Peony's lovely boyfriend Pete managed to get a decent picture, even when I was walking, so all props go to him! This was taken on the first day of NYFW, when me and Peony were still unfussed about how cold it was and were so happy to just be in New York and hanging out together at fashion week nothing seemed to matter too much. We were also on our way to Shake Shack, which could have contributed to how purposeful we look in this picture. This coat is something kind of wonderful. It's big, even by my warped, oversized standards, which is perfect for layering say, shearling vests under, or two sets of cashmere scarves, or a couple of different sweaters. Not even because it's particularly cold but because you can't make up your mind about which one you want to wear. It has the swagger and swing that only comes from something that is cut to run super wide - when you wear it the back puffs out delightfully, the front falls perfectly straight across the double breast, so you can draw it across your body if you want, or you can leave it to swing open. You can roll up the sleeves once or twice, as I am often want to do to reach that perfect bracelet length, or - if on one particularly freezing day at my friend's college in Connecticut you can't take the chill on your poor little wrists - you can roll them down and draw your hands right in. 

 I can't help myself. I'm a winter girl. I'm a coat and scarf and sweater and boots girl. I love it when summer comes round and you can eat outside and wear a tee shirt and little else, but I get sick of it very, very quickly. There aren't very many of us closet winter-phones in Sydney, but thank god I found one in Rachel, who is possibly the only person who loves winter as much as me in the whole world. And yet she lives in Bondi and comes from Queensland. Try and explain that one! I think it might come down to the fact that no place in the whole world lets you have such a trans-seasonal mix of clothing like Sydney. "Make believe winter, just for fun", to use Garance's words. It's the same weather mix that allows us to wear my favourite every outfit combination: coats and sandals. I love Paris in the springtime, I love Autumn in New York, I love London always, but nothing short of Rose Bakery carrot cake delivered fresh to my house every single day would make me give up my coat-and-sandals ensembles that becomes my staple in autumn and winter. I just want this Sydney weather to turn a little bit cooler so I can break it out now!

X

* I just love saying the phrase "in the tri-state area", origin, the law and order franchise, used in a sentence, "we've checked every crack den in the tri-state area, she's not there". I have been watching a lot of crime time recently, evidently.
You have read this article celine / clothes / clothing / coats / isabel marant / New York / outfit / outfits / shopping / wardrobe / winter with the title Winter wardrobe planning 2012 - update. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/04/winter-wardrobe-planning-2012-update.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...