smile like you mean it


A good designer should always inspire you - or at the very least, comfort you - even when you have not even the smallest desire to buy their clothes. It's like that with Dries Van Noten and sometimes even Celine, but I find that for me the designer that operates most in this sphere is Isabel Marant. I adore Isabel Marant. I worship her. I love her older collections and cherish the pieces of hers that I own. I've found that her items are always the ones that I pack first for a trip overseas; I just can't live without them. Tweedy overcoats. Suede ankle boots. Oatmeal sweaters. Her stuff has that inimitable quality that renders them instantly classic, instantly signature, instantly indispensable. Even - or perhaps because - of the hype, it's like you've discovered an old friend. Isabel Marant clothes are designed to be loved.

All this, and her past couple of collections have left me completely cold. Of course, Isabel is often best off the runway: the Etoile chunky sweaters that pop up in stores, the repeat styles that never make it onto the catwalk, the silky shirt that looked so, well, plain on Arizona Muse becomes wonderful on the hanger at a local boutique. It takes a couple of views to warm up to it, and sometime you never warm up to it at all. But a good designer should always inspire you - or at the very least, comfort you - even when you have not even the smallest desire to buy their clothes. Partly because I have all the good memories of Isabel past and partly because, even though I have no wish - no wish at all - to run around town in ruched lurex mini dresses and chandelier earrings, I always love looking at her collections. Partly because - and this makes her a good designer, despite what anyone says - you can find something great in every corner; some beautiful embellishment, some combination of colours, some beautifully rendered print. But also because she designs for a world that everyone wants to be a part of. A world of glamorous travel and champagne breakfasts and girls who aren't afraid to wear jeans to a party. These pictures show it best. The Isabel girl has great hair and clear skin and, more than anything, she's radiantly, glowingly happy. That's truly inspiring.

X

ps. don't forget to enter my Shopbop giveaway!
You have read this article clothes / clothing / fashion / fashion show / fashion shows / isabel marant / models / paris / paris fashion week / want with the title smile like you mean it. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/10/smile-like-you-mean-it.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...