i carried a watermelon

There are few simple pleasures in life. One of them is dark chocolate. The second is using a new pen and lecture pad for the first time. And the third is Dirty Dancing. That movie just gets better and better with age, even more naff (if at all possible) but also even more enjoyable. Even more cringe-worthy, but also even more tear-inducing. I defy anyone to be moved by the final scene of that film, that moment where Baby laughs at Johnny sidling up to her... that's the laugh of someone deeply in love. It doesn't matter that it's Patrick Swayze (but boy, does he look good), it doesn't matter that his hair is as high as a kite, it doesn't matter that her name is 'Baby'. It's wonderful and touching and real. Yes, I am still talking about dirty dancing here. It was on late night tv tonight and I watched it whilst trying to do my civil war readings. Needless to say I read about half a page before throwing it down and settling in with tea and ecoliers. 


Something I was struck with watching it this time was how American Apparel it all was. I was reminded of a post Stevie did ages ago about dirty dancing, and how it made her want to go to American Apparel. Well, it may be about a year later, but i get it now!  Swishy dance skirts like the floor length maxi's they have in store now. Denim cut offs and washed out saturated leotards. Checked skirts and tight white chinos. 60s, but informed by the 80s. It's that exact kind of preppy dance-slut that AA loves. (I guess they don't call it dirty dancing for nothing, har har har). Now, I'm not one of those by any stretch of the imagination, but the whole thing has got me thinking. Who wouldn't want to be Baby having a summer fling? 

all images from american apparel

My mum said to me while we were watching - "but this is so unrealistic. Where will it go? how could it possibly turn into anything? it's just a summer romance". I guess the answer to that is, it doesn't matter, really, does it? It happened, that's enough.

X


You have read this article clothes / clothing / fashion / films / history / me / movies / shopping with the title i carried a watermelon. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-carried-watermelon.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...