5 MBFWA minutes with... Lucinda Burtt


Lucinda is a graphic designer, blogger and an incredible writer who I worked with at On The Streets of Sydney a couple of years ago. She was on my team of writers and it was so fun to work with someone who had a real sense of writing style - everyone has their own voice, and you can often pick that voice a mile away. Yes, my writing voice is loads of adjectives, sentences with 4 million conjunctions in them and a complete disregard for normal rules of grammar. Lucinda's writing voice, and her personal style, are so different to my own. Minimal, clean and straight to the point, she never minces her words and she always says what she means. That is a rare but so, so, so important quality in a writer, and also in personal style. I love how darkly minimalist her style is. She can pull of such severe look without ever losing a sense of her femininity which is a rare feat. Basically she's a top girl, and it was so much fun to get to see her at MBFWA again because I really do not see her enough. I caught up with her in the break between shows to chat about what her highlights of the week have been. The last of my MBFWA interview series!!

What are your fashion week essentials? Lots of lip balm, water and camera if you can be bothered carrying it. 

What's been your favourite outfit of the week? That I've worn or that other people have worn? 

How about one of each? Okay. I really like what I'm wearing today, because it is a Dion Lee dress from the Eyes lie collection. I'm actually wearing it backwards because it fits me better that way, but it means that you can see all the details and the cutout bits best, which I like. And I really like what Nadia is wearing today. She has these little rabbit ears on. The rest of her outfit is all Zara. She's wearing a floral skirt and leather pants and she's got the D'orsay heels on as well.

I like the D'orsay heels. Me too, but they're really really painful to wear. They don't have any support at the side where you really need it. I can't wear them. But they look so good!

What's been the highlight of the week? I'm really looking forward to Christopher Esber tonight. I loved An Ode To No-One last night, because a lot of people are doing these stream-lined shift shapes and prints but his were very layered and architectural. Lots of blues and pastel colours. I thought it was a really strong collection considering that it's the first time he has shown at fashion week. I was also really surprised at By Johnny. There's been so many florals everywhere and he did these white, puffy paint florals and scribbly stripes and put them over the boxy, Josh Goot neoprene shape. Really strong. I liked that a lot. But I think Christopher Esber is going to be the real highlight tonight.

Any shows that you haven't been to that you wished you could have gone to? I really wished I could have seen Kahlo this morning in New Gen 1 because I heard that was the standout.

For me it's Gary, I wished I could have seen Gary. I loved Gary, I'm really glad I made it to that. You know, I'm really really sad that I missed the menswear show because I feel like it's worth supporting this venture to show more menswear. It's really cool, but it was just too late for me. I think it's really hard to get to the late shows. Also Michael Lo Sordo. I wanted to go to that but I couldn't get in but it looked really cool. It was a tiny venue and I heard it was packed. But yesterday one of the girls at Maybelline was wearing one the dresses so I actually got to go up and see the print up close. It was another layered print over that stiff, boxy neoprene material but the print itself was quite interesting. Bugs and organic, natural things, mirrored across. No-one is really saying that it's a trend but it's definitely a trend.

So are there any trends you've seen that you want to try next season? I never do florals, but now I think I actually want to. Not the far out stuff but there was some pretty blue stuff at Sara Phillips and I'm interested in chasing up the Michael Lo Sordo collection and having a look at those prints because they were really cool.

What are you going to do next week when it's all over to relax? I'm going to go back to work which won't be relaxing at all.

X
You have read this article blogging / fashion shows / fashion week / friends / interview / MBFWA / writing with the title 5 MBFWA minutes with... Lucinda Burtt. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/05/5-mbfwa-minutes-with-lucinda-burtt.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...