all white

celebcity


I've got Melissa to thank for this one. Since I've been so out of touch with the internet because of work and uni recently, I might never have seen this fantastic outfit if she hadn't tweeted me. And oh, how good is it? I'm repeatedly struck by how great Ashley Olsen's sense of proportion and texture is. She is a small girl - smaller than me! - and yet she manages to wear these great swathes of fabric without letting them overcome her completely. It has something to do with the way she plays off heavy knits with lighter linen skirts, flat sandals with flashy anklets, a spectacular exotic-skinned bag (or backpack, natch) and some heavy jewellery. We must be on the same wave length (I am Ashley Olsen after all) because I've started to wear my chunky gold bangles again. There's something about that click clack as you move your hand - I find the noise that jewellery makes really beautiful for some reason. Maybe it's because my mum used to wear heaps of bangles when I was a kid. I don't know.  

I was talking with a friend the other day about style duality - how there are always two sides (or more!) to your style personality. I think my two are French classics and 90s minimalism. I love that Ashley Olsen look, that Carolyn Bessette Kennedy relaxing in Nantucket in sweatshirt and trousers look, that New York simplicity of a cotton shirt and denim (nothing comes between me and my calvins). At the moment I've been leaning towards the latter. I've been wearing a lot of denim and big sweaters, a lot of long skirts and big sweater, a lot of tapered trousers and, well, big sweaters. There's nothing new about any of this, but I think this winter I'm going to try and play with proportion even more. Massive massive massive coats. Ballooning skirts and thick, long-line sleeveless sweaters. Same same but different, you know?

X
You have read this article anklets / ashley olsen / bags / celebrity / fame / knitwear / long skirts / the row with the title all white. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/05/all-white.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...