the other baguette


fendi

I'm probably going to regret this. I kind of already do. But I think I might like this new Fendi Baguette reissue? In a humorous, ironic, tongue-in-chic kind of way? Not this yellow colour specifically, but maybe a nice simple black one, or even an out-there shade of green or red or pink or blue... I don't know what it is exactly about it - it's flashy and it's over the top and it's ridiculously... it. And that's so not me. But there's something kind of compelling about how the Baguette is coming back in style, as if it was never 'it' to begin with, as if it was just laying the grounds to become a true classic. 

I wouldn't - and couldn't - wear it the way Plum Sykes used to. "A Fendi purse in an ever more luxurious or decadent yarn was a compulsory part of a strict Friday-night dress code of skintight Stella McCartney jeans, agonisingly high Gucci heels and a beaded top by Chanel or Dolce & Gabbana." How Carrie Bradshaw. "The bag that went on a thousand dates," Sykes adds, and I like that. It's funny to look back on trends with the benefit of hindsight. How are we going to look back on our time now? Are we going to laugh at Philo-mania, are we going to have a burning desire to bring back the Isabel Marant Flana jacket? Are we going to reminisce about all those dates that we went on in Dicker boots and Acne jeans and cute little Equipment shirts? I'd like to think that when I'm in my 30s or 40s I'll still be in love with the things that I'm wearing now, not necessarily because they are classics, but because I have sentimental value attached to the very way that I wore them back then. How can you ever fall out of love with an item of clothing? I don't think I can. I'm gonna love my stuff forever and ever and always.

If I had a Baguette I would probably try and dress it down, to let its flashiness speak for itself. A heavy-lidded wink on a fresh face. I'd wear a pair of tapered pants and a big sweater (here I am with the oversized knitwear thing again, but man is it a good look), boyfriend jeans and a blue shirt, a trench coat over a midi skirt. A little Baguette might be just the thing to complete the outfit with a smile. Not taking fashion too seriously, and all that. Something over-embellished like the bags that you would buy from a street-market or a tourist stall. Something kind of crazy, almost too crazy, something that no-one would ever think I'd want. No, it's not minimal, its got wild-branding, it's even just a little bit trashy. But I think that's why I like it. You can get caught up in your own style sometimes to the point where everything starts to look the same. You can predict exactly what you want, you know your wardrobe inside out and you can reel off your favourite designers like they were your own family members. When you get to that point that's when you start to crave something a little out of the ordinary. Like flatform laceups, or a peplumed-top. Or a bright yellow Fendi Baguette.

X
You have read this article bags / fashion / sex and the city / trends with the title the other baguette. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/05/the-other-baguette.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...