and if that doesn't leave me with a stain on my conscience, i don't know what it doesn't leave me without a stain on.

I spent a lovely week studying, drinking cups of tea and sampling fresh gingerbread and reading p.g wodehouse in between. It was all very nice, the mountains always are, and it got a little chilly which meant the fire had to be lit. Charming, and in the middle of spring too! The vintage up there is great as well, i got an old circus collar, a chanel watch (so so so incredibly cheap it should be illegal), a few tea cups, a victorian lacy overshirt and elbow length leather gloves. All for next to nothing at all. And lots of books, of course.

I thought i would do a little book post, i haven't done one in a little while. It has all been a bit fashion heavy. P.G Wodehouse is marvellous, if you like english aristo-comedy and social satire. Evelyn Waugh (one of my favourite authors EVER, the creator of the masterpiece Brideshead revisited) called him 'The Master', and he wrote novels, plays, screenplays and lyrics. A man of many talents.

I love reading him when you want to be entertained, and you don't want a book that forces you to focus/think/philosophise/any of the above. I'm not saying that he's a dumb writer, but rather that his writing is some of the best satire out there, encouraging you to think whilst entertaining you at the same time. He does not preach, but the messages are all there, live humbly but happily, love truly but wisely, be fair, etc. etc. 

He was also a master of the dry phrase. his expression is truly hilarious at times, without ever aspiring to do more than raise a smile. Some of my favourites are 'he would have drawn himself up to his full height, had he not been sitting' and 'i could see that if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled'.

Another thing he was famous for were his similes. In a style much copied today, think Douglas Adams and Jasper Fforde, his similes were often incredibly odd, and are a joy to read. Some great ones, 'she had a penetrating sort of laugh. rather like a train going into a tunnel', 'conversing with Aunt Dahlie was like throwing chaff into the path of a lively tornado' and 'he was a tubby little chap who looked as if he had been poured into his clothes and had forgotten to say 'when!''. 

So, i heartily encourage you to set out and read a little wodehouse. If your an anglophile like me then you will most definitely enjoy it. If not, then you will have bought something that can undoubtedly be used to prop up wonky tables or, if in dire need, be fuel for a fire. I hope it is the former however, and you do enjoy wodehouse. I know i do!




'What ho!' I said,
'What ho!' said Motty.
'What Ho! What Ho!' 
'What Ho! What Ho! What Ho!'
After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation. 

P.G Wodehouse.
You have read this article books / england / wodehouse with the title and if that doesn't leave me with a stain on my conscience, i don't know what it doesn't leave me without a stain on.. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2008/10/and-if-that-doesn-leave-me-with-stain.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...