primp and preen



style.com

I think I'm growing up a little. The collections that are exciting me, i mean, really exciting me, are the one that are almost... well... serious. Phoebe Philo, Thakoon Panchigul, Yigal Azrouel - I'm talking about designers who know how to drape, how to cut and how to hem a trouser just so. I'm talking about clothes that you can run from an office to dinner in, and from dinner to a party. High Voltage clothes with a hint of glamour, a hint of seriousness, and a load of fun. Clothes that are for the modern woman - woman, not girl see. The woman that I think I am, underneath all my Disney films and my teen vogues lies beneath. I've just bought a couple of things that are signifying my move into this more adult territory. One is a simple lurex jumper in a deep wine purple, the other is a multi-chain necklace with contrasting metals, glass beads and colours. They both sound a little crazy, but they are modern clothes for the urban jungle when paired with my structured skirts and lace up ballet flats or strappy gladiator sandals.

Preen is one of those designers who I have never really taken much notice of before - until now. Preen's not really colourful or bold or extravagant or exotic: all my pre-requisites in a designer, Marni and Dries Van Noten aren't my favourites for nothing. But what I'm loving about Preen's collection is how high voltage it is. These clothes have IMPACT. The little cut out sections are sexy without being indecent, the big jackets swathe around the models like beautiful cocoons. I love the flash of colour in the sophisticated floral print and that anything but baby-ish lilac. I love the idea of an evening gown that is essentially a little bra-let top above a sweeping floor length gown. If you have the upper arms for it I imagine the impact would be incredible - the flash of skin, that long and lean silhouette. It's like 90s minimalism but on crack. None of these things are anywhere near my style... now. But the more I see fashion shows like this, the more I am inspired. The more I want to pare back everything I wear and focus on that JOLT of high voltage glamour - the cut out, the print, the cinched in waist, the flounces and frills. 

It's no wonder that Preen sells out of Net-A-Porter within minutes. Their sexy but serious, concentrated but crazy kind of modern fashion is what I imagine your average high flying career woman would drape across their body. Minus the bare flesh, I suppose. I am neither a career woman nor high flying, but I am very, very inspired. watch this space.

X
You have read this article fashion / fashion shows / me / photos / pictures / preen / style with the title primp and preen. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/07/primp-and-preen.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...