runway to reality







Daria for Chanel - Daria fan site

The minute I saw the new Chanel campaign I was immediately reminded of this campaign with Daria Werbowy from way back in 2005. Although there's not a yeti-suit or furry boot in sight, the contrast of the high-luxe clothing and the gritty streets of New York - in the current ad campaign the maroon fire escapes of a lower east side apartment building - is a popular idea for advertising. The biggest dilemma for many designers, especially those with highly fantastical ideas and elaborate technique, is how to translate the fashion from runway to reality. An ad campaign set in the "real world" - whether its the streets of Paris or the beaches of Ibiza - is one way in which clothes that on the runway seemed strange and avant-garde can be made accessible for the average person. That's why millions of dollars are spent of making advertisements accessible - they invariably translate into sales. Maybe you didn't see the show, but you'll see the ad campaign in every magazine you buy, in department stores, on the side of the flagship boutiques, maybe even a snippet of it on TV. Seeing a girl - a model girl with gazelle legs and a face cut from glass, but a girl nonetheless - wearing the clothes in an everyday situation like running to and fro in the big smoke can be a major factor in the purchasing of luxury. And we all know luxury can be a big business. That's why I love ads like this. Sure, the fantasy ads that capture the spirit of the collection are all well and good, but I say, save that for perfume. Hold the imagery for cosmetics. When I want my fashion ad campaigns I want ones that are REAL LIFE. that make me want to buy the clothes. That make me think - I could be that girl, even when I know I really can't be.

I don't think even the most real of photos could make me want to wear the fur suits of the last Chanel collection, but it doesn't hurt to try!

X
You have read this article chanel / daria werbowy / fashion / fashion shows / models / photos / pictures / shopping / writing with the title runway to reality. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/07/runway-to-reality.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...