doctor, doctor!


style.com

On my way home from work I grabbed Vogue Australia, ready to settle in for an hour or two of completely frivolous - but perfectly wonderful, of course - reading. What should I see, except a break down of trends that included my current favourite, the Doctor Bag. Yes, yes, I do love the PS1s and the Sofia Coppola for LV Duffel Bags of this world. But I've been carrying a satchel on and off (most notably off when I went through a 6 month "clutch only" phase) for the past 2 years. It's time to move forward. It's time to grow up. And what better to do that with than a Doctor Bag, that staple of lady-like dressing. The bag that swings from your hand or, if you want to go totally uber modern and chic, tucks in the crook of your arm like an oversized clutch. 

The shape is timeless. It is boxy and bulky and not practical at all. It's the kind of bag that men of the 1950s used to like - you can't work a typewriter or a read a book if one of your hands is completely occupied with holding a bag. But so what, really? Sometimes - just sometimes mind, I still crave a  PS1, believe me - you want something a little more refined. You want a bag that requires, no, DEMANDS, that you pay it attention, that you slather it in leather conditioning creams and ensure you don't just plonk it down of any surface. A bag that makes you look delicate and dainty, yet which is made of sturdier stuff than your average suede hobo. I want a bag that is a little more... well... chic. I always dress down - I'm the girl in an oversized shirt and plain skirt at the club. But, looking at Alexa, and the Dries Van Noten collections, I think that with a bag like this you would be dressed up for anything occassion, brunch or birthdays. I think that with a bag like this you would stand up straighter, your hair would slick back, and you would be a "glamazon" for want of a better word. One of Louis Vuitton's buxom babes - Rosie, Catherine or Elle. Blessed and Bold. But still "Cool" like Alexa. The perfection combination.

I glanced at my archives and realised that pretty much every second post is about bags. Is working in the DJ's handbags department getting to me a bit? We'll see.

X
You have read this article alexa chung / bags / dries van noten / fashion shows / louis vuitton / photos / pictures / shopping / street style / style with the title doctor, doctor!. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/07/doctor-doctor.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...