Style. (full stop).

I am a firm believer that style changes. There is no full stop to it. It evolves and metamorphoses according to your mood, your age, your location, your monetary funds, what you've just watched/read/listened to/saw etc. Style can't stay the same, if it did life would be so very very boring. I love looking at photos of me as a 14 year old and seeing what i was wearing. It was all very boho, if you were interested, long skirts, vests, beads, head-things... very mka circa 2005. 

At the moment my style has evolved completely. I was always the one of my friends who was interested in vintage and would drag them off to the newest shop or market and scrape together my dollar coins to buy something cheap. Now everyone and their mother is into vintage, and the style of the moment in sydney is techno raver, meaning lots of bold and bright fluro, indie hipster with ripped tights, ripped high waisted denim, PVC etc etc.. I don't really like it myself. In fact, i loathe it. It's not hipster in the way london hipster is where there is lots of different types, and different personalities. With Sydney everyone looks the same.

My style is very different. It is very grandma librarian chic, it's all vintage floral dresses, cardigans, tights (always always always), high waisted skirts, overshirts in silk and chiffon, fur coats and 1940s brocade boxy jackets. I sometimes mix it up with leather jackets or army shirts, a pair of doc martens, loafers or man ankle boots and socks. I enjoy my style, it's very me, it looks like i'm off with a notebook to go write in a park with a flask of tea, which in all honesty is probably what i'm going to do.

But there is another dimension to my style. i like to think of it as the crazy rich heiress in her 80s. She's got all her pearls, and big rings and jewels, her fur coats and luxurious fabrics but she's getting old and its all going to pot. It's a bit Mary Kate Olsen when she had her blonde hair. I don't dig her tartan look at the moment. It's all turbans on the head, long dresses to the ground with leather jackets or lots of chains or beads over an old-school tea dress.

So i suppose my style is alexa chung and mary kate olsen if they ever had a love child. Interesting. But who knows, in a couple of years it will probably all have changed. And that's the amazing, wonderful thing about fashion. Everything changes. It understands people, because we change all the time, and so fashion changes as well. It is the most impermanent business out there, kind of like the industry's buddhism. 









You have read this article alexa chung / fashion / inspiration / mary-kate olsen / me / style with the title Style. (full stop).. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2008/09/style-full-stop.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...