barefoot

Harpers Bazaar UK October 2011


My best friend used to live two streets away from me. Doesn't everyone have a friend like that? They must. You bond as you walk home from school together, as you sit side by side on the bus and share your ipod headphones, as you hang out at their place everyday in the holidays because it's close and it's easy and you can. One holidays I remember my friend decided she wasn't going to wear shoes. Not all the time, mind, but as much as she could - at the park, around her house, to the corner shop when we went to buy watermelon shaped bubblegum for 25c a piece. It wasn't really anything serious but it wasn't anything silly either. It was just something she thought up and wanted to do. We all kind of joined in, half-heartedly at first, but then we realised just how fun it could be. To slip off your shoes is actually quite liberating. It's a throwback to earlier hippie days, of course, but it's also got a little bit of that primal urge to strip away everything unnecessary. To run barefoot on a beach and sit barefoot in a park cross-legged and walk barefoot down a sizzling sidewalk to grab ice creams from the shop. I love being barefoot - I hate wearing socks, tights or anything that restricts my feet too much (it's why I love sandals so much). Even just around the house I love the feel of carpet and tiles against my feet. Especially when it's cold. I'm not really sure where this came from, but I saw this photo and it just made me long for lazy picnics underneath a high summer sun. Where I can kick of my shoes and lie back on the grass and dream, dream, dream.

X
You have read this article australia / friends / me / paddington / store / sydney / writing with the title barefoot. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/09/barefoot.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...