softly, softly



I'm steadily building up a list of things that I want to purchase in January and February when I head overseas, with a strong Australian dollar and the promise of international sales my imagination is running just the teensiest, smallest of a bit wild. I'm hoping to pick up some jewellery from Catbird and BRVTVS, both for myself and friends who have placed a personal order (it's kind of fun shopping with other people's money!), something from Isabel Marant, some cozy, oversized sweaters from Margaret Howell or Opening Ceremony or something like that - on sale, of course, Byredo Blanche perfume and a pair or two of these. I've only heard good things about Porselli ballet flats, beloved of Audrey Hepburn and Brigitte Bardot (even though she infamously had a pair of Repettos named after her), who adored the softly, softly leather upper and the discreet nailed soles. Garance Dore even loves them. I know that when it comes to ballet flats it's a case of same same but different, but I really like the brushed nubuck leather and the wide, flat, simple layout of porsellis. I think they seem a little bit more relaxed than Repettos, which while beautiful, have a very turned out feel to them. Like most things French they seem to demand ironed shirts and clean hair and perfect manicures, which I never, ever have.

On the surface it seems a little odd that the as-french-as-you-come label A.P.C would collaborate with Porselli and not Repetto, but I'm glad they did. The fruits of their labour - an edited version seen above - are so perfect in their simplicity they can't help but make me smile. I love that the bulk of the collection, in place since last spring/summer, is made up of beautiful shades of tan, running the gamut from a milky cream through oatmeal to caramel and tobacco - my favourite colours. From thence there is a short romance with mustard yellow and a leafy, philosykos pale green and then firmly onto navy blue. Ultimately the A.P.C sanctioned spectrum of colours; tan and navy. Fine by me! I love the middle pair, a delicious oatmeal colour that would be perfect with bare legs and midi skirts, and the navy blue pair, which would fill a wardrobe void against my tapered trousers and jeans. Has anyone here had porselli ballet flats before? What are the reviews, and how do they shape up against repettos?

x
You have read this article ballet / dreams / france / money / paris / sale / shoes / want with the title softly, softly. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/12/softly-softly.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...