all for one


one: olsen anonymous, two: refinery 29, three: afingo


He got onto the bus at the foot of  Wentworth Street in Point Piper, which was always a good sign, and his shirt sleeves were rolled up, and his pants slung low, and his tie hung limply around his neck, a sad vestige of former Windsor-knot greatness, as if he had been tugging absent-mindedly at it all day. He had one hand in his pockets and the other holding onto the strap of his backpack, which hung precariously, nonchalantly, beautifully from one shoulder. That's it. Never would I carry my too-big backpack crammed full of Australian Civics and Citizenship textbooks and Hello Kitty notebooks with two straps again. The next day, much to my parent's chiropractic-familiar horror, I slung my backpack over one arm and triumphantly strode off to school. All year it seemed like everyone carried their bags this way, everyone competing for who could have the lowest, droopiest heap of canvas pooling around the small of their back (the trick was to adjust the strap as long as it would go and carry heavy things). This went on for some time until a friend of mine, having stuffed her bag with all her Year 9 science exam notes on currents and volume and such things, slung her bag up onto her back and completely threw her back out. Whether it was the sheer weight of the bag, or the habit she had of almost tossing it up into the air to be caught across one shoulder, or the fact that, maybe the reason backpacks have two straps is so that they can distribute the weight equally across both arms we'll never know... But after that it was against school rules to carry your bag on one arm. We still did it anyway, but now we had concrete, front-of-diary black-and-white proof that it was wrong.

I wouldn't mind carrying a The Row backpack over one shoulder, though. I wouldn't stuff it with my packed lunch, my bottle of water, my sports uniform, my hockey mouthguard, my books and leaky pens and all that. I wouldn't dare. I'd delicately, gently place my Moleskine diary, my wallet, my phone and keys, maybe a book - not John Grisham, oh no, something like The Virgin Suicides or Possession - maybe a pair of chic, cats-eye sunglasses from somewhere like, oh, I don't know, Celine. I'd wear straight leg jeans and a big old shirt with twin anklets, or a long black skirt and an oversized sweater with a huge scarf wrapped twice, thrice around my neck and ballet flats. You know, though, it really wouldn't matter that much what I wore, because with a bag like this everything would come out looking like Ashley Olsen. And it wouldn't matter if you were very busy and important off to business meetings or if you were just running up the road to catch the 352 to Uni, it wouldn't matter one bit, because this bag, slung over one shoulder like that boy on the bus, would make everything alright.

My kingdom, such as it is, but my kingdom nonetheless, for this backpack!

X

ps. people have been asking for links to the items I use in my sets, so I'll start doing that now where I can. Sometimes the items are sold out, but I've linked anyway just for fun!
You have read this article ashley olsen / bags / dreams / inspiration / jealous / money / photos / pictures / the row / want with the title all for one. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/12/all-for-one.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...